Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Making Cells Mandatory and Running Checks

To the Masters of Excel. I really need your help.

I'm trying to make a field (a cell) a mandatory field in an Excel
spreadsheet. Leaving the field empty would generate an error message which
would not allow the user to save and exit the document. How should I do it if
I want to have Excel to run checks on all these mandatory fields?

Your advise is greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

First understand that you cannot legislate integrity in users by using
Excel. Anything that you might try to do with macros or formulas to
"insure" that things will go your way, can be "busted".
So these things you might do, are only to keep the honest folks
honest................
One thing you can do is to create a non-contiguious range including all the
cells you consider manditory, and then base your final conclusion formulas
on a predetermined COUNTA of those cells.........to prevent saving, would
require macros which the user might just decide not to enable in the first
place(but there are ways to insure the file will not function unless they
are enabled)..........another is to make individual formulas contingent on
the presence of a value in another of your "manditory"
cells.......etc............the more you try to "insure" the more overhead
the file contains......think it over, and if you have specific questions,
post back, someone will be happy to help.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Bob Effendi" <Bob wrote in message
To the Masters of Excel. I really need your help.

I'm trying to make a field (a cell) a mandatory field in an Excel
spreadsheet. Leaving the field empty would generate an error message which
would not allow the user to save and exit the document. How should I do it

if
I want to have Excel to run checks on all these mandatory fields?

Your advise is greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hey Chuck,

Thanks very much for the advice. Although, I might have overdescribed the
situation to you.

What I'm looking at is more simple than that really. I'm distributing some
spreadsheet to be filled by my staff...and in it contain several fields that
are compulsory for my staff to fill in. So I'd like to make sure that if any
employee fails to fill in the compulsory field/cell, then an Error message
would pop-up. I want this Error message to always pop-up until the field/cell
is filled in. Only then the employee can save and exit the form.

Can you (or anybody for that matter) help me with this?

Greatly appreciate your help!

Bob Effendi