Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default ExcelTip/ExcelForum threading

I'm calling on all regular posters in this NEWSGROUP.
to boycot ANY posts from ExcelTip and ExcelForum

As you may have noticed the replies to the threads
(when posted from those websites) will create a NEW thread.

These sites must adhere to UseNet rules and correct his ASP script!

Over the past weeks I've tried contacting the webmaster,
(on several email addresses).. No reaction at all.

The only way to see a thread correctly threaded is by their internal
ThreadID, not by NNTP MessageID.

It could be a deliberate tactic employed by Mr Rubin to attract traffic to
his sites... but I'll assume it's just a mistake.

I will no longer answer any posts from exceltip/excelforum
until this is resolved.

If anyone can directly contact the webmaster to have him mend his ways?

keepITcool <angry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi keepitcool
I totally agree with you that this is quite annoying.
I already sent two emails to the webmaster asking to correct this (but as we
all see also no luck).

Esp. if you don't use Outlook (or any other newsreader) it is REALLY
annoying to see new threads over and over again :-(

Frank

"keepITcool" wrote:

I'm calling on all regular posters in this NEWSGROUP.
to boycot ANY posts from ExcelTip and ExcelForum

As you may have noticed the replies to the threads
(when posted from those websites) will create a NEW thread.

These sites must adhere to UseNet rules and correct his ASP script!

Over the past weeks I've tried contacting the webmaster,
(on several email addresses).. No reaction at all.

The only way to see a thread correctly threaded is by their internal
ThreadID, not by NNTP MessageID.

It could be a deliberate tactic employed by Mr Rubin to attract traffic to
his sites... but I'll assume it's just a mistake.

I will no longer answer any posts from exceltip/excelforum
until this is resolved.

If anyone can directly contact the webmaster to have him mend his ways?

keepITcool <angry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I see the responses from the forum appearing as one level higher than they
should, but I don't see them as new threads. I doubt if Rubin writes his
own forum software, so I don't know that he has control of that aspect. I
would encourage you to rethink your boycott idea as you aren't punishing
Rubin and I doubt it would "force" a change. While I have had no contact
with him in the past, those that I know who have had contact said he was
cooperative. You might contact Stephen Bullen. Besides, a lot of the
posters in the forum probably have no idea what Usenet even is; so targeting
them probably won't be effective.

If you were posting from the forum, you could use one of the smilies
keepITcool <angry
would be
keepITcool :angry

but isn't that a seeming paradox

keepITcool <== <angry

<g
Tom Ogilvy

"keepITcool" wrote in message

I'm calling on all regular posters in this NEWSGROUP.
to boycot ANY posts from ExcelTip and ExcelForum

As you may have noticed the replies to the threads
(when posted from those websites) will create a NEW thread.

These sites must adhere to UseNet rules and correct his ASP script!

Over the past weeks I've tried contacting the webmaster,
(on several email addresses).. No reaction at all.

The only way to see a thread correctly threaded is by their internal
ThreadID, not by NNTP MessageID.

It could be a deliberate tactic employed by Mr Rubin to attract traffic to
his sites... but I'll assume it's just a mistake.

I will no longer answer any posts from exceltip/excelforum
until this is resolved.

If anyone can directly contact the webmaster to have him mend his ways?

keepITcool <angry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I can't see any thread problem - messages group together fine here under OE6
(XPSP2).

It only annoys me when I receive a reply without the quoted original
message - grr - that's frustrating.

Perhaps we should all ditch OE/Outlook/Usenet and head on over to
excelforum. who needs nntp anyway...
What do you say team? <g

"keepITcool" wrote in message

I'm calling on all regular posters in this NEWSGROUP.
to boycot ANY posts from ExcelTip and ExcelForum

As you may have noticed the replies to the threads
(when posted from those websites) will create a NEW thread.

These sites must adhere to UseNet rules and correct his ASP script!

Over the past weeks I've tried contacting the webmaster,
(on several email addresses).. No reaction at all.

The only way to see a thread correctly threaded is by their internal
ThreadID, not by NNTP MessageID.

It could be a deliberate tactic employed by Mr Rubin to attract traffic to
his sites... but I'll assume it's just a mistake.

I will no longer answer any posts from exceltip/excelforum
until this is resolved.

If anyone can directly contact the webmaster to have him mend his ways?

keepITcool <angry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Rob
I think this problem only is visible if you use for example MS CDO
interface. I'm not sure what keepitcool uses though :-)

Switching over to Excelforum: As I have to use a web interface from work
as NNTP is prohibited doubt you'll have that much fun using only a web
interface <vbg

"Rob van Gelder" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I see the same thing as Tom. They appear to be replies to their own
messages instead of mine. Consequently, they're not colored red and I can
only assume that I've missed some replies (because I've stumbled on some by
accident). So the people that are getting hurt are the posters by not
getting answers to their follow up questions.

Instead of boycotting, you should consider prefacing every reply with a
paragraph or two asking the users to put pressure on Rubin to fix it and
encouraging them to connect directly to the news server. Once you get that
written, I'll be sure to steal it and use it too.

--
Dick Kusleika
MVP - Excel

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hmm.... OE6 may do it's threading the MS way.. BUT

UseNet/NNTP messages should have a line in their header called
"References"

RFC1036
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1036.html

2.2.5. References

This field lists the Message-ID's of any messages prompting the
submission of this message. It is required for all follow-up
messages, and forbidden when a new subject is raised.

Follow-up messages from ExcelTip/ExcelForum do NOT have a References line
in their header.

I've traced it back to somewhere around SATURDAY 18 september 2004

Exceltip changed theirs script and signatures...)
and have forgotten? to include the References line.

Example:
From: mangesh_yadav
Subject: Compile Errors and Missing references
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 05:27:44 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the response, Tom.

SNAP

--
mangesh_yadav
mangesh_yadav's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?

BEFORE mid september:
it
DID included the References: line

From: mangesh_yadav
Subject: Date cell format
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 02:48:17 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.programming

just use another if conditiion to check if D5 has a date or a "", and
accordingly set the value.

- Mangesh

---

keepITcool

"Rob van Gelder" wrote:

I can't see any thread problem - messages group together fine here
under OE6 (XPSP2).

It only annoys me when I receive a reply without the quoted original
message - grr - that's frustrating.

Perhaps we should all ditch OE/Outlook/Usenet and head on over to
excelforum. who needs nntp anyway...
What do you say team? <g

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
as a follow-up:
I contacted Roy via private email and he responded VERY fast time (So I
assume my last email just did not get through). He said that they will
address this issue within the next week and hope to solve it very soon.

Frank

"keepITcool" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Tom Ogilvy" skrev i melding
I see the responses from the forum appearing as one level higher than they
should, but I don't see them as new threads.

Ditto that (Outlook Express). Threading, not perfect, not annoying.

Best wishes Harald