Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Linking Problem

I just encountered a strange problem. I have "file #1" which is linked to
"file #2". I copied "file #1" and called it "copy file #1" so I could
compare it to my new version of "file #1". "File #2" was updated and linked
into "file#1". When I opened "file #1" and "copy file #1", my updated "file
#1" links reverted back to the old link values that were in "copy file #1".
I have to open "file #2" again in order to get the proper values in my
updated "file #1".

Does anyone know how I can prevent this from happening. I already have
checked the "save external link values" option. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I would suspect this would cause "copy file #1" to also update its
links which may or may not be what is wanted. The other thing
is if file #1 has lots of links and/or links to file 3, 4, 5, etc. it can
get
really slow. I frequently start a 2nd copy of excel to open the
file I want to compare. This is also good for opening 2 files with
the same name stored in different directories.

The down side a
- It's trickier to copy and paste between the files.
- If there are a number of files open in each version of excel,
it's easy to get confused as to which you are looking at.
- If you open files by double clicking in file manager, it can
be hit or miss as to which excel it will open in.
kcc

"keepITcool" wrote in message

there's also an UpdateLinks property..
make sure its set to: 3/xlupdateLinksAlways

else the links aint updated when you open the file
containing the links.

keepITcool

?B?Sm9obiBN?= <John wrote:

I just encountered a strange problem. I have "file #1" which is
linked to "file #2". I copied "file #1" and called it "copy file #1"
so I could compare it to my new version of "file #1". "File #2" was
updated and linked into "file#1". When I opened "file #1" and "copy
file #1", my updated "file #1" links reverted back to the old link
values that were in "copy file #1". I have to open "file #2" again in