Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Linking problem

I'm a beginner/intermediate user of Excel. I don't know if what I'm trying
to do is even possible.
I have one worksheet that contains marketing expenditures. Each row by
column has the following type of information: Vendor name, amount of invoice,
corresponding company account number.
The other worksheet is our budget. I have one column that is our budget by
company account numbers and the other is actual by company account numbers.
I want to link account numbers with corresponding amount of invoice to the
spreadsheet that contains the actual spent to corresponding account numbers.
I want to do this , if possible, with one link.
Does that make any sense?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hello Chip,

Thanks for replying. But, I must be really stupid because I have checked
out VLOOKUP and I don't think this is what I am looking for. Maybe it will
be easier if I show you what I'm trying to do...

Spreadsheet #1

Company Invoice Amount Account number
ABC $1500.00 50700
DEF $531.00 50650
GHI $18000.00 50700

Spreadsheet #2

Account number Q1 Budget Q1 Actual
50700 $40000.00

What is shown above is a small representation of the spreadsheets. What I
need to be able to do is take the invoice amount with the corresponding
account number (here 50700) and link it to spreadsheet number 2 in the Q1
actual column all the while adding all the invoice amounts with account 20700
- putting one total amount under Q1 actual.

Do you think there is anyway to do that?

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

Have a look at then VLOOKUP function.

"Justin H" <Justin wrote in message
I'm a beginner/intermediate user of Excel. I don't know if what I'm
trying
to do is even possible.
I have one worksheet that contains marketing expenditures. Each row by
column has the following type of information: Vendor name, amount of
invoice,
corresponding company account number.
The other worksheet is our budget. I have one column that is our budget
by
company account numbers and the other is actual by company account
numbers.
I want to link account numbers with corresponding amount of invoice to the
spreadsheet that contains the actual spent to corresponding account
numbers.
I want to do this , if possible, with one link.
Does that make any sense?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Try SUMIF

In Sheet2,
place in C2, copy down:
=SUMIF(Sheet1!C:C,A2,Sheet1!B:B)
--
Max
Singapore
"Justin H" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That didn't solve my problem. I have feeling that what I want to do is not
possible.

Each of my headings is a separate column. The account numbers are in rows,
so maybe it cannot be done.

"Max" wrote:

Try SUMIF

In Sheet2,
place in C2, copy down:
=SUMIF(Sheet1!C:C,A2,Sheet1!B:B)
--
"Justin H" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Darn, I don't think I misread it earlier ..

Try this sample which depicts the SUMIF's use in your earlier scenario:
http://www.freefilehosting.net/download/3dk71
SUMIF example.xls

what you wanted earlier
.. What I need to be able to do is take the invoice amount
with the corresponding account number (here 50700)
and link it to spreadsheet number 2 in the Q1 actual column
all the while adding all the invoice amounts with account 50700 (corrected)