Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Empty but persistent toolbar

I have an inherited workbook that contains a custom toolbar named
"Vicky." Don't know why. The toolbar has no controls on it. It shows
up in Tools* Customize* Toolbar, where I select and delete it without
incident and save the wb after deleting. But it returns the next time
that wb is opened.

I've done the usual elminations to ensure it's not in any of my add-ins.
It doesn't show up in any other wb, and it appears when opened on each
of 3 very different computers. There's no VBA code anywhere in the
workbook. I've tried deleting it via code. Same result.

Being totally buttonless, it might not be so annoying except that [1]
once turned off, it stays invisible only for the current session, and
[2] while visible it claims an entire row of toolbar real estate by
itself. I'd rather not rebuild it afresh, as the structure is fairly
complicated. (Yes, I know I may have to.) What weapon might cure this?

WinXP, Excel 2000 (on all PCs). Thanks for any clues.

--
Mark Tangard
"Life is nothing if you're not obsessed." --John Waters

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You could try in the work book open.

Application.toolbars("Vicky").delete

Hope this helps

Nathan.

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I've tried that already, as mentioned in my second paragraph. (BTW the
property is CommandBars, not Toolbars.)

--
Mark Tangard, Microsoft Word MVP

nath wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mark

Is the Toolbar attached?

ToolsCustomizeToolbars. Select the toolbar and "Attach". Un-attach if
necessary.

Another guess.........you did say "inherited"

Are you trying to get rid of Menu items/Toolbars that were added using the
Menu Editor in Excel 95(5.0)?

Later versions do not have the Menu Editor. Jim Rech has an Add-in that will
remove these Menu items. Can be found at Stephen Bullen's site.

http://www.bmsltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm

Scroll down a few inches to Jim Rech section and look for "RemoveMenus.ZIP"

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:53:58 -0700, Mark Tangard
wrote:

I've tried that already, as mentioned in my second paragraph. (BTW the
property is CommandBars, not Toolbars.)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Gord writes:

ToolsCustomizeToolbars. Select the toolbar and "Attach".
Un-attach if necessary.

It worked! Thanks so much. Embarrassed to say, I'd never even noticed
the Attach button.

Are you trying to get rid of Menu items/Toolbars that were added using
the Menu Editor in Excel 95(5.0)?

Unlikely. The file predates me by several years, but as I understand it,
the firm used QuattroPro in that era. I'll definitely grab Jim's add-in
regardless. Thanks again.

--

wrote:

I've tried that already, as mentioned in my second paragraph. (BTW the
property is CommandBars, not Toolbars.)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the feedback Mark.

Glad you got it sorted out.