alainr

Default How to Delete a persistent Toolbar?

I have a toolbar that keeps reappearing even if I "Delete" it from the
Toolbar Customization dialog box. I have no template open, my XLStart
directory is empty, I have no addins attached, there is absolutely no macro
in any module or worksheet... and yet, this toolbar keeps appearing. Where
is it comming from? I think it was from some kind of addin that I tried in
the past.

Dave Peterson

If you open excel and see that toolbar, try going into the VBE (alt-f11).

Hit ctrl-r to see the project explorer

Any workbook open that you didn't expect?

If yes, one way to find that workbook is:
hit ctrl-g (to see the immediate window)
type this and hit enter:
?workbooks("workbooknamehere.xla").fullname
(and it could be .xls, too.)

Then you could decide if you really want this file opened. If you don't want it
open, then just move it to a different location (or delete it).

If that didn't work, maybe your toolbar file is not getting updated.

close excel
then windows start button|search
Search for all *.xlb files (in hidden folders, too)
Rename all the *.xlb files to *.xlbOLD

Start excel and see if it worked.

If it did, delete those *.xlbOLD files and rebuild any changes you've made.

If it didn't work, just rename them back (no harm, no foul).

--

Dave Peterson
alainr

Any workbook open that you didn't expect?

Nothing except a blank Book1 with no code anywhere.

Search for all *.xlb files (in hidden folders, too)
Rename all the *.xlb files to *.xlbOLD
Start excel and see if it worked.

Didn't work

However, I did managed to track-down the Addin folder and delete the DLL
that seemed to be culprit. It's funny that this DLL still got hooked-up to
Excel even if I didn't select it in the Addins... dialog box!?

Thanks for your help.

Zack Barresse

You won't see DLL add-ins if you go to Tools | Add-ins.. You have to go to
Tools | COM add-ins.. and uncheck it from the list - which you should still
do, because it will probably still be in the list. A COM add-in is
different from an xla add-in.

Zack Barresse, aka firefytr, (GT = TFS FF Zack)

"alainr" wrote in message
Any workbook open that you didn't expect?

Nothing except a blank Book1 with no code anywhere.

Search for all *.xlb files (in hidden folders, too)
Rename all the *.xlb files to *.xlbOLD
Start excel and see if it worked.

Didn't work

However, I did managed to track-down the Addin folder and delete the DLL
that seemed to be culprit. It's funny that this DLL still got hooked-up
Excel even if I didn't select it in the Addins... dialog box!?

Thanks for your help.

Dave Peterson

Ahhhhhhh.

Good catch.

You can add another option to your Tools dropdown.
tools|customize|commands tab|tools category
Scroll down the commands side until you find: COM Add-ins...

Drag that to your favorite toolbar. I dragged it right under Addins under
Tools.

Then you'll see that you can toggle that addin on and off--just like
tools|addins.

alainr wrote:

Any workbook open that you didn't expect?

Nothing except a blank Book1 with no code anywhere.

Search for all *.xlb files (in hidden folders, too)
Rename all the *.xlb files to *.xlbOLD
Start excel and see if it worked.

Didn't work

However, I did managed to track-down the Addin folder and delete the DLL
that seemed to be culprit. It's funny that this DLL still got hooked-up to
Excel even if I didn't select it in the Addins... dialog box!?

Thanks for your help.

--

Dave Peterson

Jim Rech

COM add-ins

Good point. And since COM Add-ins are not on the Tools menu by default they
are especially hard to find.

--
Jim
"Zack Barresse" wrote in message
| You won't see DLL add-ins if you go to Tools | Add-ins.. You have to go to
| Tools | COM add-ins.. and uncheck it from the list - which you should
still
| do, because it will probably still be in the list. A COM add-in is
| different from an xla add-in.
|
| --
| Regards,
| Zack Barresse, aka firefytr, (GT = TFS FF Zack)
|

| "alainr" wrote in message
| Any workbook open that you didn't expect?
|
| Nothing except a blank Book1 with no code anywhere.
|
| Search for all *.xlb files (in hidden folders, too)
| Rename all the *.xlb files to *.xlbOLD
| Start excel and see if it worked.
|
| Didn't work
|
| However, I did managed to track-down the Addin folder and delete the DLL
| that seemed to be culprit. It's funny that this DLL still got hooked-up
| Excel even if I didn't select it in the Addins... dialog box!?
|
| Thanks for your help.

alainr

tools|customize|commands tab|tools category
Scroll down the commands side until you find: COM Add-ins...

Excellent! Many thanks,