Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default indirect copy protection of Excel files

Hi,

I have to copy protect my engineering expert system somehow. I
consists of one folder with 5 huge Excel files within. Those are al
interrelated workbooks of around 20 MB in total. I am not talking abou
either huge data base or so much data to process. I am talking abou
heavy and complex algorithms, options, combinations, an
optimizations...and graphics. I am not much worried even if one want
to possess the formulas. Anyway, formulas are too complicated for a
average user, and there are too many of them - literally severa
thousands of formulas (most of cells have 7 IFs and in average 25
symbols). I am worrying about the end-user intention to copy entir
folder for a purpose of giving to someone else or making some no
insignificant money on it. The folder is encrypted, but the authorize
user with an open access to the application/files (with exemption t
the MS passwords, which is no protection at all) could do what he want
to do.

So is there ANY protection from copying the files at the first place o
is there any way around for instance allowing the files to be copied
but to become useless in a process because of some newly acquire
dis-functionality?

Could anyone come up with a functional code (the SOLUTION in my case
that will ‘import’ actual computer ID (serial number or something)
into Excel, check if it is the same one as the one written in the macr
and IF NOT disable all workbooks opening functions and/or quit Exce
application – i.e. close Excel altogether? The idea behind is that m
XL files could run only on one computer – sort of soft-key. If file
are copied and user wants to run it on another computer to make hi
feel sorry.

Many thanks in advance.
Daniel

Could anyone come up with a functional code (the SOLUTION in my case
that will ‘import’ actual computer ID (serial number or something)
into Excel, check if it is the same one as the one written in the macr
and IF NOT disable all workbooks opening functions and/or quit Exce
application – i.e. close Excel altogether? The idea behind is that m
XL files could run only on one computer – sort of soft-key. If file
are copied and user wants to run it on another computer to make hi
feel sorry.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Since all a user needs to do is set macro protection to high to prevent all
code from running or spend a few dollars on a vb password cracker, there is
not a lot you can do.

Bob Flanagan
Macro Systems
Delaware, U.S. 302-234-9857
http://www.add-ins.com

"ysaneo " wrote in message

I have to copy protect my engineering expert system somehow. It
consists of one folder with 5 huge Excel files within. Those are all
interrelated workbooks of around 20 MB in total. I am not talking about
either huge data base or so much data to process. I am talking about
heavy and complex algorithms, options, combinations, and
optimizations...and graphics. I am not much worried even if one wants
to possess the formulas. Anyway, formulas are too complicated for an
average user, and there are too many of them - literally several
thousands of formulas (most of cells have 7 IFs and in average 250
symbols). I am worrying about the end-user intention to copy entire
folder for a purpose of giving to someone else or making some not
insignificant money on it. The folder is encrypted, but the authorized
user with an open access to the application/files (with exemption to
the MS passwords, which is no protection at all) could do what he wants
to do.

So is there ANY protection from copying the files at the first place or
is there any way around for instance allowing the files to be copied,
but to become useless in a process because of some newly acquired
dis-functionality?

Could anyone come up with a functional code (the SOLUTION in my case)
that will 'import' actual computer ID (serial number or something)
into Excel, check if it is the same one as the one written in the macro
and IF NOT disable all workbooks opening functions and/or quit Excel
application - i.e. close Excel altogether? The idea behind is that my
XL files could run only on one computer - sort of soft-key. If files
are copied and user wants to run it on another computer to make him
feel sorry.

Many thanks in advance.
Daniel

Could anyone come up with a functional code (the SOLUTION in my case)
that will 'import' actual computer ID (serial number or something)
into Excel, check if it is the same one as the one written in the macro
and IF NOT disable all workbooks opening functions and/or quit Excel
application - i.e. close Excel altogether? The idea behind is that my
XL files could run only on one computer - sort of soft-key. If files
are copied and user wants to run it on another computer to make him
feel sorry.

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

XL just doesn't have this capability. If the user can open the file,
they can generally gain access to everything in it, including hidden
sheets, protected code, etc.

It may be technically feasible if you have access to their machine (to
get some identifying number), and if you compile all your workbooks into
COM add-ins. Otherwise, you can throw up roadblocks, but they won't keep
someone who is motivated, with even moderate abilities (i.e., they can
find this newsgroup), from bypassing them.

Having an installer that installs a hidden file or registry key upon
which the app is dependent is also a possibility - it won't prevent
someone from giving away your installer, but joe user wouldn't be able
to simply copy the folder.

As for your proposed protection scheme, though, I certainly wouldn't buy
*anything* that I needed for my business that licensed a single machine
- what if the machine fails and I need to use an alternate? Or what if I
want to upgrade my machine - I'd have to get permission from you? No
way! Some of my Windows clients put up with that BS from Microsoft (lord
knows why), but not an independent contractor.

I'm also troubled by your desire to make your client "feel sorry". If by
"feel sorry" you mean to put up a message saying "This may be an illegal
copy, you should feel very very bad", while I suppose that's something I
could live with, seems unprofessional.

But if by "feel sorry" you mean to damage anything I have on any of my
machines, if that happened, I'd sue you for everything you've got. You
have a right to compensation for your work - you don't have a right to
damage *anything* of mine, even if I steal from you.

Far better to get to know your clients and establish a relationship
whereby they're willing to pay a reasonable price for additional desks,
and for continuing support. Make it clear that this is a licensed
product: put in passwords that are specific to your client, and make
sure all your dialogs list both the client and you. Compile it if it
doesn't need to either be cross-platform or to run on XL97.

That won't prevent piracy, but if you charge a reasonable price and
provide great service, ethical clients will respect your license.