Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
ysaneo ysaneo is offline

Default indirect copy protection of Excel files

Hi,

I have to copy protect my engineering expert system somehow. I
consists of one folder with 5 huge Excel files within. Those are al
interrelated workbooks of around 20 MB in total. I am not talking abou
either huge data base or so much data to process. I am talking abou
heavy and complex algorithms, options, combinations, an
optimizations...and graphics. I am not much worried even if one want
to possess the formulas. Anyway, formulas are too complicated for a
average user, and there are too many of them - literally severa
thousands of formulas (most of cells have 7 IFs and in average 25
symbols). I am worrying about the end-user intention to copy entir
folder for a purpose of giving to someone else or making some no
insignificant money on it. The folder is encrypted, but the authorize
user with an open access to the application/files (with exemption t
the MS passwords, which is no protection at all) could do what he want
to do.

So is there ANY protection from copying the files at the first place o
is there any way around for instance allowing the files to be copied
but to become useless in a process because of some newly acquire
dis-functionality?

Could anyone come up with a functional code (the SOLUTION in my case
that will ‘import’ actual computer ID (serial number or something)
into Excel, check if it is the same one as the one written in the macr
and IF NOT disable all workbooks opening functions and/or quit Exce
application – i.e. close Excel altogether? The idea behind is that m
XL files could run only on one computer – sort of soft-key. If file
are copied and user wants to run it on another computer to make hi
feel sorry.

Many thanks in advance.
Daniel