Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Printing with much text in a cell

We have a situation where we enter large amounts of text in cells.
The cells are set to wrap and are limited in width so you actually have to go into those cells, and edit, in order to read them.

But, when we print, we only get what the cell height is set to and can't see all the text, unless we manually drag the cell height down (as far as we can).

Is there a type of "can grow" property for cells or the sheet that is used with printing? Can't find it.

Thanks, Michael
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
this proble could occur if you have lots of text in your cells. Try
entering some manual line breaks with ALT+ENTER

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

MichaelM wrote:
We have a situation where we enter large amounts of text in cells.
The cells are set to wrap and are limited in width so you actually
have to go into those cells, and edit, in order to read them.

But, when we print, we only get what the cell height is set to and
can't see all the text, unless we manually drag the cell height down
(as far as we can).

Is there a type of "can grow" property for cells or the sheet that is
used with printing? Can't find it.

Thanks, Michael

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Printing is pretty much what you see is what you get. If you can look at
the sheet (not the formula bar) or more likely look at it in print preview
and you can see the text, it will most likely print. If not, it will most
likely not print. Variability between what you see and what gets printed
can be caused by font substitution or problems with fonts.

There is no option to automatically adjust cells heights to accomodate
printing.

If you text exceeds about 1024 characters, then, as Frank said, you can put
in manual hard returns in your text (Alt+Enter) and you will probably be
able to see more of your text.

Tom Ogilvy

"MichaelM" wrote in message
We have a situation where we enter large amounts of text in cells.
The cells are set to wrap and are limited in width so you actually have to

go into those cells, and edit, in order to read them.

But, when we print, we only get what the cell height is set to and can't

see all the text, unless we manually drag the cell height down (as far as we
can).

Is there a type of "can grow" property for cells or the sheet that is used

with printing? Can't find it.

Thanks, Michael

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That is definitely a problem and a solutions are occasionally posted. Once
you set a definite row height you are stuck with having to reset it when
needed. Here is my solution:

Adjust row height automatically(#autofit)
Event Macros, Worksheet Events and Workbook Events

There has also been a posting to remove specific height
and that one will be harder to find, and let Excel work with them again,
but things like merge cells will interfere with this. Can't believe
I actually found it (was referenced by Gord Dibben, that helped) -- written by Jim Rech
If you have merged cells you will want to use this one.

http://www.google.com/groups?threadm...40TK2MSFTNGP10

---
HTH,

"MichaelM" wrote in message ...
We have a situation where we enter large amounts of text in cells.
The cells are set to wrap and are limited in width so you actually have to go into those cells, and edit, in order to read them.

But, when we print, we only get what the cell height is set to and can't see all the text, unless we manually drag the cell height

down (as far as we can).

Is there a type of "can grow" property for cells or the sheet that is used with printing? Can't find it.

Thanks, Michael

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you gentlemen.
Fogive the double posting, but MS said my msg wasn't sent and to try later.
Even on the 2nd try, it said it was not sent and to try later.
Evidentally, that was the "default" confirmation yesterday.

I'm having trouble finding what to do with the Events, but I'll keep reading.
--
MichaelM

"MichaelM" wrote in message ...
We have a situation where we enter large amounts of text in cells.
The cells are set to wrap and are limited in width so you actually have to go into those cells, and edit, in order to read them.

But, when we print, we only get what the cell height is set to and can't see all the text, unless we manually drag the cell height

down (as far as we can).

Is there a type of "can grow" property for cells or the sheet that is used with printing? Can't find it.

Thanks, Michael

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ok, here's the MS confirmation of my just tried Reply post, today 6/11 at 1000R (10:00AM Eastern Standard Time).

An error occurred while sending your post

We're sorry, but there was a problem with the system and your post was not received. The error has been reported to Operations and will be investigated as soon as possible. Please try again later.

But, it's probably out there so I won't repeat it.
I did 'check' "Notify me of replies".
--
MichaelM