Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Inventory Workbook - automated entry worksheet???

I am curious is this is possible:

I have a workbook that I use for keeping track of
inventory. Each worksheet is for a different department,
and the inventory for that department is contained in that
worksheet.

The worksheets are simple. Each contains 4 columns: Part
Number, Description, Quantity, and Location. Each
worksheet's data is sorted descending by part number.

I want to know if I can create a worksheet at the
beginning of this workbook that would allow me to enter
data, hit a button, and have it stored on the correct
worksheet and have the data resorted. I would like to do
this to save time sorting through worksheets and resorting
data.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sure ...

You might want to use a Userform as an alternative, where you enter th
data field values (4 textboxes), select the type (i.e worksheet name
from the workbook) from a list, and click a Commandbutton to Update an
Sort the corresponding worksheet.

dman

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom,

There in lies the problem, I don't know VBA.
I have used VBA before, but just in a copy-and-paste mode,
someone gave me code, and I pasted it in.
Is this a rather complicated thing to program?

Thanks

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

dmang,

Thanks for the reply.
Is this a momumental programming task?
I don't know much about VBA, so I will need to seek help,
could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks again.

You might want to use a Userform as an alternative, where

you enter the
data field values (4 textboxes), select the type (i.e

worksheet names
from the workbook) from a list, and click a Commandbutton

to Update and
Sort the corresponding worksheet.

dmang

---

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What you describe isn't difficult I wouldn't think - but I wouldn't see
every entry requiring a new row on one of the 4 sheets - it seems like some
of the existing rows would need to be updated - but then maybe you are
storing transactions and not maintaining a balance. So in either case it
wouldn't be difficult, but would probably be involved - so not being
difficult doesn't mean it wouldn't take substantial work.

Tom Ogilvy

"Brian" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

XL97: How to Use a UserForm for Entering Data (Q161514)
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=161514

XL2000: How to Use a UserForm for Entering Data (Q213749)
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=213749

Should give you an idea.

here is a tutorial on programming a userform:

http://www.microsoft.com/ExcelDev/Articles/sxs11pt1.htm
Lesson 11: Creating a Custom Form
Excerpted from Microsoft® Excel 97 Visual Basic® Step by Step.

Peter Aiken Articles:
Part I
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...FormsPartI.asp
Part II
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...ormsPartII.asp

here is reference material:

How to use Visual Basic for Applications examples to control UserForms in
Microsoft Excel

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=168067
File Title: Microsoft(R) Visual Basic(R) for Applications Examples for
Controlling UserForms in Microsoft Excel 97
File Name: WE1163.EXE
File Size: 161742 bytes
File Date: 05/08/97
UserForms in Microsoft Excel 97. It includes examples and Microsoft Visual
Basic for Applications macros that show you how to take advantage of the
capabilities of UserForms and use each of the ActiveX controls that are
available for UserForms

Tom Ogilvy

"Brian" wrote in message
dmang,

Thanks for the reply.
Is this a momumental programming task?
I don't know much about VBA, so I will need to seek help,
could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks again.

You might want to use a Userform as an alternative, where

you enter the
data field values (4 textboxes), select the type (i.e

worksheet names
from the workbook) from a list, and click a Commandbutton

to Update and
Sort the corresponding worksheet.

dmang

---

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom,

You are corrert, I would need quantities updated for
existing inventory, I hadn't thought of that.
Do you know where I can look for more indepth programming
help for this project?

Thanks again.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

WOW

Thanks Tom!

XL97: How to Use a UserForm for Entering Data (Q161514)
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=161514

XL2000: How to Use a UserForm for Entering Data (Q213749)
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=213749

Should give you an idea.

here is a tutorial on programming a userform:

http://www.microsoft.com/ExcelDev/Articles/sxs11pt1.htm
Lesson 11: Creating a Custom Form
Excerpted from Microsoft® Excel 97 Visual Basic® Step by

Step.

Peter Aiken Articles:
Part I
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-

us/dnoffpro01/html/IntroductiontoUserFormsPartI.asp
Part II
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-

us/dnoffsol02/html/IntroductiontoUserFormsPartII.asp

here is reference material:

us;829070
How to use Visual Basic for Applications examples to

control UserForms in
Microsoft Excel

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=168067
File Title: Microsoft(R) Visual Basic(R) for Applications

Examples for
Controlling UserForms in Microsoft Excel 97
File Name: WE1163.EXE
File Size: 161742 bytes
File Date: 05/08/97

manipulating