Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default XLB File missing

Hi All
On our corporate network a user reported that they were having trouble
opening Excel, in that the application window size was larger than the
screen, obscuring the task bar etc. If the opening sheet and application
are maximised the window resizes as normal. However these changes and other
option settings (show status bar for example) were not being saved from
session to session. So the problem came back.

The XLB file was suspected but there was none for this user, but there were
for other users on this local PC (C:\WINNT directory). All these were
deleted and Excel now behaves normally. I expected Excel to create a new
XLB, however on inspection there is none. Where are the settings being
stored now? Clearly the 'other' XLB files were interferring with the
opening of Excel but with none now I am concerend the problem will reappear
unless we can track down the mechanism involved.

XL97 running on NT

Cheers
Nigel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Nigel

Screen layout, color info, checked Add-ins and many ToolsOptions
settings are stored in the Registry, not in the *.XLB file.

*.XLB basically stores just customizations to Menus and Toolbars.

To see some of what's stored in the Registry have a peek at this
section in it, if you feel comfortable.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\XX.0\E xcel\Options

XX is your version of Excel...8,9,10,11

Assuming you are aware of the precautions taken when editing the
Registry and know how to restore a recent backup of same.......

If not, maybe have a look here first...scroll down to "Registry
editing tips"

http://www.activewin.com/tips/reg/index.shtml

Export all these keys(as a branch group) to a .REG file so's you can
back them up.

As far as *.XLB goes, Excel will indeed build a new one when the current one
is deleted.

Make sure that My ComputerToolsFolder OptionsViewFiles and FoldersHidden
Files "show all files" is checked.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP