Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
William DeLeo

Default missing personal.xls file ... please help!

Hello,

My office computer has been recently upgraded and I am having trouple
locating all the macros I had stored in "personal.xls". I believe I
was running 2003 and I still am, but I could have been running an
earlier version (maybe 2000?).

Right now I have my old drive hooked up as an external so all the files
should be still sitting there. I was instructed to look in the
following folder (now moved to my desktop from old drive):

...\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

But that folder is totally empty.

I am finding nothing when I search for "personal.xls". Is that the
name is should be stored under? FYI- I log into my machine this type
of thing could be associated with my login name.

Thank so much ... (nervously waiting)

--
William DeLeo
William DeLeo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1256

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Depending on your upgrade path, you may have the personal.xls file in a
different folder.

I'd search again.

Maybe even using an old DOS command.

Windows|start button|run
cmd (windows 2k/xp)
command (windows 98)

At the DOS prompt:
X: (to get to the x: drive, change X to your external drive letter)
cd\ (to get to the root directory)

dir personal*.xl* /s

the /s means to search through subdirectories.

Maybe it'll pop up.

William DeLeo wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
William DeLeo

Hello Dave ... thanks for the reply.

I was able to recall some DOS ... but not enough.

The C drive comes up when I run cmd and I found nothing (Volume in
drive C has no label ... file not found). How would I change to a
different drive to search there as well?

Thanks again.

--
William DeLeo
William DeLeo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1256
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=524483

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
William DeLeo

i'm an idiot ... maybe I should try reading your entire email first ...

--
William DeLeo
William DeLeo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1256
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=524483

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
William DeLeo

...but still nothing found ... nothing on C nor the old drive E. I
don't get it ... I didn't delete anything yet ... where could it be???

Pfbt!