Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Windows 98 desktop icons disappearing

Hi everyone

I've programmed Excel 2000 using Visual Basic 6 (VBA), and one of my function
print some worksheets to a file. I used the Range.PrintOut method with paramete
"PrintToFile:=True"

The problem I have is that whenever Excel prints some pages to file (it will do s
successfully), my windows desktop icons all disappear. The task bar is there and it work
fine. Right-clicking on the Desktop brings up the usual menu options, but there are no icons
For example, if I then right-click the desktop and choose to New-Folder, the folder is create
(by using Windows Explorer to check) but it's icon doesn't applear on the desktop

I am using Windows 98 SE. I've searched Google thoroughly and to no avail. Any hel
would be appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Before you go looking at Excel to be at fault, clean up your hard drive so
you know it's not Windows: www.theofficeexperts.com/cleanyourpc.htm
<-*-<-*-<-*-<-*-<-*-<-*-<-*-<-*-
Hope this helps!
Anne Troy (better known as Dreamboat)
Author: Dreamboat on Word
Email: Dreamboat*at*Piersontech.com
Web: www.TheOfficeExperts.com
<-*-<-*-<-*-<-*-<-*-<-*-<-*-<-*-
"kempton" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I've programmed Excel 2000 using Visual Basic 6 (VBA), and one of my

functions
print some worksheets to a file. I used the Range.PrintOut method with

parameter
"PrintToFile:=True".

The problem I have is that whenever Excel prints some pages to file (it

will do so
successfully), my windows desktop icons all disappear. The task bar is

there and it works
fine. Right-clicking on the Desktop brings up the usual menu options, but

there are no icons.
For example, if I then right-click the desktop and choose to New-Folder,

the folder is created
(by using Windows Explorer to check) but it's icon doesn't applear on the

desktop.

I am using Windows 98 SE. I've searched Google thoroughly and to no avail.

Any help
would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Right click on the desktop and look in your Properties .
Somewhere in there (I'm not using Win98) is a check box that says hide desktop icons, and a web page or something like this
(ActiveDesktop I think).
Anyway - happy hunting.

Regards Robert

"kempton" wrote in message ...
Hi everyone,

I've programmed Excel 2000 using Visual Basic 6 (VBA), and one of my functions
print some worksheets to a file. I used the Range.PrintOut method with parameter
"PrintToFile:=True".

The problem I have is that whenever Excel prints some pages to file (it will do so
successfully), my windows desktop icons all disappear. The task bar is there and it works
fine. Right-clicking on the Desktop brings up the usual menu options, but there are no icons.
For example, if I then right-click the desktop and choose to New-Folder, the folder is created
(by using Windows Explorer to check) but it's icon doesn't applear on the desktop.

I am using Windows 98 SE. I've searched Google thoroughly and to no avail. Any help
would be appreciated.

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the advice so far, but it doesn't look that simple. I'm pretty sure m
computer is clean, and very clean at that. Also, I don't think it's a matter o
Active Desktop settings (it is not using Active Desktop anyway)
* only systray and explorer runs on task manage
* I don't have any background programs like msn, aim et
* I don't have any virus scanning running in the background
I'm 90% sure it has nothing to do with virus because I don't run Outlook Express no
Internet Explorer. I've cleaned up all the temp files and there shouldn't be anythin
stray lying around (I believe). Also, my home computers have never been infecte
by a virus to my knowledge, and I don't run virus scan software either. So yeah
please just assume that it has nothing to do with viruses

I've just spend the last 2 hours hunting, and I've made some discoveries

I ran my excel program on another seldomly used computer with a fresh install of win98
and all the icons disappeared again. I decided to find out WHEN the icons disappear, s
I unmaximised the Excel windows and ran my program again (I've always been runnin
Excel maximised). This time the desktop windows didn't disappear!!!

I tried on my colleague's computer, he has more things set up and a few things runnin
in the background, including a virus checker (although again, he is very capable and
don't believe his computer is ever infected with any virus). I ran Excel unmaximised an
the icons did NOT disappear. My colleague's computer has a very different setup to mine

The first computer has a similar setup to mine, so I've checked for any differences in th
set up and tried to reproduce the conditions that it had. It didn't work, my compute
still exhibit the problem. And I found out that the icons disappear after the Range.PrintOu
call, but before the Excel's print dialog says "... Page 1 of 1"

It looks like a windows incompatibility or Driver problem of some kind, although probabl
not the printer driver (both computers use the same driver - exact version). I'll work o
it a bit more later, it looks like nobody has encountered this problem before

Kempto