Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default "file not found" error message when launching source file

I created a master (source) excel document and linked the
multiple graphs to a poweroint. Both files are in a
shared lan where multiple people have to go in and update
the master excel.

When I open the master excel I get a pop up asking if I
want to update this workbook with changes made to the
other workbook (it is linked to)? Confusing question.
But when I say yes, I get an error pop up box that
says "file not found" and it takes me to my hard drive
directory.

As this is a shared document I keep getting asked what to
answer and why they get the error message. HOW CAN I MAKE
THIS GO AWAY?

Many Thanks
Lisa
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

this sound like your OS is not set correctly. This may involve you having to
'repair' your Excel instal.

--
Patrick Molloy
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Lisa" wrote in message
I created a master (source) excel document and linked the
multiple graphs to a poweroint. Both files are in a
shared lan where multiple people have to go in and update
the master excel.

When I open the master excel I get a pop up asking if I
want to update this workbook with changes made to the
other workbook (it is linked to)? Confusing question.
But when I say yes, I get an error pop up box that
says "file not found" and it takes me to my hard drive
directory.

As this is a shared document I keep getting asked what to
answer and why they get the error message. HOW CAN I MAKE
THIS GO AWAY?

Many Thanks
Lisa

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

To have excel stop asking if you would like to update the
worksheet with its links, go to tools/options/edit/"ask
to update automatic links". this will stop the question
from being asked IF IT IS ABLE TO BE FOUND. if not it
will continue to give you that second pop up "file not
found". the second pop up is asked possibly because the
source file has been moved. if so, go to edit/links then
click on the sheet in the list you wish to import the
information from, then click change source and relocate
that file for the new link-path to be established.

hope that helps!

I created a master (source) excel document and linked

the
multiple graphs to a poweroint. Both files are in a
shared lan where multiple people have to go in and

update
the master excel.

When I open the master excel I get a pop up asking if I
want to update this workbook with changes made to the
other workbook (it is linked to)? Confusing question.
But when I say yes, I get an error pop up box that
says "file not found" and it takes me to my hard drive
directory.

As this is a shared document I keep getting asked what

answer and why they get the error message. HOW CAN I

MAKE
THIS GO AWAY?

Many Thanks
Lisa
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
No Name

Patrick, thank you for responding. I had other folks in
my department, from different locations/states (means we
had different LAN folks do the install), try the launch
and they are all getting the same message. Any other
ideas?