Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DS DS is offline

Default "File Is Locked" Error Message (not by other users)

Morning all (at least it is here in the UK!),

I'm hoping someone will have come across the following error in the past and
may be able to suggest a course of action to remedy.

It appears on opening the excel document, and is in an "exclamation" message
box, with a "Microsoft Excel" title.

Content reads: "File is locked. In order to save changes to the file, you
can either close the file before making any changes and then re-open it, use
Save As (File Menu) to save the file using another filename, or turn off
Shared Workbooks and then save the file."

Saving the file under another name doesn't work, as the new version also
suffers from this "lock" issue and displays the same message on opening.
The file is not shared, so we can't really turn off Shared Workbooks...

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks
DS
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sometimes this works:

http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly
(From Debra Dalgleish's site)

Sometimes rebooting your pc (or the LAN drive that holds the file) will help.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DS DS is offline

Hi Dave, and thanks for your response.

Unfortunately, the suggestions in the link don't help. One of the first
things I tried was deleting out temp files, and getting the main user to
reboot. I think it's something on the document itself, as we have multiple
users experiencing the same error message with the same workbook, and who are
all using other workbooks (including some in the same folder) quite happily.

Thankfully it's not one I put together!!

Thanks anyways, I'm bookmarking that link for future reference as an
additional resource.

Cheers
DS