Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default AfterUpdate functional equivalent at Cell level?

If you take everything I know about Excel, roll it up into a ball, and
set it on the edge of a razorblade; it will look roughly like a
golfball in the middle of the New Jersey Turnpike...so cut me a little
slack here.

The larger question is: "How to track changes to a given cell". i.e.
if somebody edits a cell, we want to capture their
userid/name/whatever, a timestamp, and the value that was replaced.

Scanning a Google search on "Excel AfterUpdate", it looks like dealing
directly with the cells would be fighting Mother Nature.
True?

Seems like there is something called a UserForm and a TextBox.
Sounds like the strategy for allowing users to update cells and track
changes to same would involve making them go through a "UserForm" and
"TextBox" to make the changes.
True?

If not, what would the preferred strategy be?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you share a workbook, there is an option to track changes. Sharing
imposes a lot of restrictions on the workbook and I personnaly haven't use
the track changes option, but it might be better than rolling your own.

the limitations of sharing are spelled out in the help file. There is also
an explanation of tracking changes.

Tom Ogilvy

"PeteCresswell" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Pete
some questions:
- do you want to track only a single cell or all cells within a
worksheet
- where do you want the data to be stored (separate sheet, etc.)

You can achieve this kind of audit trail with a worksheet change event
procedure or you may use the buil_in functionality 'Track changes'
(Tools menu). So you may describe your requirement with a little bit
more detail :-)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel