Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Frank Kabel Frank Kabel is offline

Default AfterUpdate functional equivalent at Cell level?

Hi Pete
some questions:
- do you want to track only a single cell or all cells within a
worksheet
- where do you want the data to be stored (separate sheet, etc.)

You can achieve this kind of audit trail with a worksheet change event
procedure or you may use the buil_in functionality 'Track changes'
(Tools menu). So you may describe your requirement with a little bit
more detail :-)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

PeteCresswell wrote:
If you take everything I know about Excel, roll it up into a ball,

and
set it on the edge of a razorblade; it will look roughly like a
golfball in the middle of the New Jersey Turnpike...so cut me a

little
slack here.

The larger question is: "How to track changes to a given cell".

i.e.
if somebody edits a cell, we want to capture their
userid/name/whatever, a timestamp, and the value that was replaced.

Scanning a Google search on "Excel AfterUpdate", it looks like

dealing
directly with the cells would be fighting Mother Nature.
True?

Seems like there is something called a UserForm and a TextBox.
Sounds like the strategy for allowing users to update cells and track
changes to same would involve making them go through a "UserForm" and
"TextBox" to make the changes.
True?

If not, what would the preferred strategy be?