Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DonJ-Austin

Default empty cell equivalent value

How can I set the value of a cell, using a formula, that will be the
equivalent (especially as a datapoint in a graph) of an empty cell ?

Empty cells produce no datapoint in a graph, but the formula below - the
closest I can come up with - plots a zero (0) when the test condition is true.

If(A1=1,"","X")

I find it difficult to navigate back to this point or 'watch' the
thread/question here. Please reply to . Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Use

=IF(A1=1,NA(),"X")

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"DonJ-Austin" wrote in message
How can I set the value of a cell, using a formula, that will be the
equivalent (especially as a datapoint in a graph) of an empty cell ?

Empty cells produce no datapoint in a graph, but the formula below - the
closest I can come up with - plots a zero (0) when the test condition is
true.

If(A1=1,"","X")

I find it difficult to navigate back to this point or 'watch' the
thread/question here. Please reply to . Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

Try this:

=IF(A1=1,NA(),"X")

This will display as #N/A in the cells that meet the criteria but will not
"mess up" your chart.

If you don't want to see these in the cells then you can use conditional
formatting to "hide" them.

Select the range of cells.
Goto FormatConditional Formatting
Formula is: =ISNA(cell_reference)
Click the Format button
Set the font color to be the same as the background color
OK out

Biff

"DonJ-Austin" wrote in message
How can I set the value of a cell, using a formula, that will be the
equivalent (especially as a datapoint in a graph) of an empty cell ?

Empty cells produce no datapoint in a graph, but the formula below - the
closest I can come up with - plots a zero (0) when the test condition is
true.

If(A1=1,"","X")

I find it difficult to navigate back to this point or 'watch' the
thread/question here. Please reply to . Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DonJ-Austin

Not sure if I should say "Kiitoksia paljon" or "de'kuji".

This technique will be very helpful. I usually spend a lot of time clearing
and avoiding error states; not creating them. :-)

Cheers. dj