Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default hyperlinking to open an embeded word doc?

ive got 7 word docs which i need to embed into my workbook.

at the moment im hyperlinking straight to the external word docsbut du
to having to put this workbook on an intranet i now have to embed thes
into the workbook itself so they are still accessable.

however ideally i really need the hyperlinks to just open the embedde
word docs, instread of having to make the user double click the embde
doc icon (which rather poorly you cant even name). basically it woul
perform the same as hyperlinking to the docs externally, but load th
doc from my workbook instead. this way i can simply stick all the doc
onto a hidden sheet, the links will open the docs, and everything i
kept nice and simple for people trying to use it.

anyone know if this is possible

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Would it work to simply put a folder with your docs on the Intranet, and
have a Hyperlink pointing to the doc, but showing only the doc name? This
will keep file size down. It will also allow you to make changes to these
docs without then having to put out an updated workbook.

This is what I do, only I have about 12,000 docs linked to my workbook. I
*did* have hyperlinks to all of them, but it got so bad trying to open the
'book, because Excel had to refresh ALL the links! I finally resorted to a
macro that had the user select the doc title in a cell and click a button;
the cell text was used as a string for the doc name in the macro. Doesn't
take 15 minutes to open anymore!

Ed

"neowok " wrote in message
ive got 7 word docs which i need to embed into my workbook.

at the moment im hyperlinking straight to the external word docsbut due
to having to put this workbook on an intranet i now have to embed these
into the workbook itself so they are still accessable.

however ideally i really need the hyperlinks to just open the embedded
word docs, instread of having to make the user double click the embded
doc icon (which rather poorly you cant even name). basically it would
perform the same as hyperlinking to the docs externally, but load the
doc from my workbook instead. this way i can simply stick all the docs
onto a hidden sheet, the links will open the docs, and everything is
kept nice and simple for people trying to use it.

anyone know if this is possible?

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

this is what ive done as a temporary solution, just bunged the essentia
docs straight onto the intranet only not show them on the webpage, s
people wont be able to access them without going into my workbook an
clicking the links from there.

does anyone know why excel insists on resetting the bluddy font siz
and formatting in the cell every time you even edit a hyperlink? i
drives me mad editing a hyperlink then having to reset the font siz
and reset it to bold. typical MS if you ask me.

also still got problems with hyperlinks changing by themselves (and n
way to have absolute links in excel2002 onwards it seems). basically
have links to files on the network drive, it seems to refuse to mak
these absolute links. so as soon as i put the workbook onto my memor
stick (which is effectively a new hard drive) the links change and fai
to work, despite the fact that those files are still in the same place
and the network drive is still accessible, its rediculous. afaik i
excel97 you could select a checkbox to make the links absolute, there
no such thing now