Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
CLR CLR is offline

Default Change Event.....Spell Check

Hi All..............

I am trying to create/record a macro that will automatically start the Spell
Checker on a cell as soon as data is entered into it.

I have a large cell created by merging many cells (A63:g69) to form a NOTES:
box at the bottom on one of my sheets. Many of my users can't spell, and I
would like the SpellChecker to pop up as soon as they hit Enter after typing
in that cell, but would like to restrict it to only checking THAT one
cell-range,.............right now it wants to check the whole sheet, even
the cells in hidden columns..........

Here's what I've got so far...........

If Target.Address = "$A$63" Then
Range("A63:G69").Select
Cells.CheckSpelling CustomDictionary:="CUSTOM.DIC",
IgnoreUppercase:=False _
, AlwaysSuggest:=True, SpellLang:=1033
ActiveWindow.ScrollColumn = 1
Application.EnableEvents = True

Any help would be appreciated..........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In your code the word Cells in "Cells.CheckSpelling" tells it to check the
whole sheet, regardless of your previous selection. Try this:

If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A63:G69")) Is Nothing Then
Range("A63:G69").CheckSpelling CustomDictionary:="CUSTOM.DIC",
IgnoreUppercase:=False, _
AlwaysSuggest:=True, SpellLang:=1033
ActiveWindow.ScrollColumn = 1

hth,

Doug

"CLR" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
CLR CLR is offline

OUTSTANDING Doug...........thanks muchly.
It's beautiful............exactly what I wanted.

Oh yeah, is there any way to qualify it so it will only run if the character
count in the cell/range is less than 257?

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"CLR" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Chuck,

This seems to work, although, note that if it's a string with no spaces it
only works if it's under 255 characters. But if there are spaces in the
textbox contents, then it does what you asked for:

If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A63:G69")) Is Nothing And Len(Range("A63"))
<= 256 Then

"CLR" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
CLR CLR is offline

Hi Doug............

I been working on the other computer all evening.......it's got
problems.........and haven't had a chance to install your new code but from
the looks of it, thats exactly what I was looking for...........

Thanks again so very much............

"CLR" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
CLR CLR is offline

I just got a chance to check out your latest code this morning Doug, and it
does work EXACTLY like I wanted it to..............many MANY
Thank-you's...........

"CLR" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just a question. When I tried this fix approach in xl97, the spell checker
did check the restricted range, but after finishing that, asked it I wanted
to check the remainder of the document. Does that not happen in your case
and what version of excel.

Thanks,
Tom Ogilvy

"CLR" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom,

You're right, it doesn't work with 97. It does in 2k. How would you do it?

Thanks,

Doug

"CLR" wrote in message
[...]

How do you change the font in the pop up spell check box? skoeske Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 November 20th 08 08:34 PM
Spell Check Sarapu New Users to Excel 1 October 16th 07 07:39 AM
Spell Check Mishka Excel Worksheet Functions 1 March 1st 07 08:51 PM
Spell check sri Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 February 6th 07 09:36 PM
... Can I set Spell Check to automatically check my spelling ... Dr. Darrell Setting up and Configuration of Excel 0 March 21st 06 08:26 PM