Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Help, Unable to start Excel

For some unknown reason whenever I try to start Excel my computer locks up
tighter that a drum., even Ctrl+Alt+Del will not start it. Running win98SE,
Office 2002. All other office applications run just fine. I have no idea how and
what could have become corrupted. I have done detect and repair -No Luck- Is
there a file for Excel like Normal.dot for word or PPT10.pcb for PowerPoint that
may have become corrupted that I can delete, that will regenerate when I restart
Excel?

--

Regards
Michael Koerner

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Michael

Do a file search for *.XLB which is the equivalent of Normal.dot

When you find it, rename it to *.XLBold

Try Excel again.

The *.XLB file is known for becoming corrupt especially when it gets a little
large.

Excel will build a new one when you close Excel....assuming you can get it
open.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 20:31:06 -0500, "Michael Koerner" wrote:

For some unknown reason whenever I try to start Excel my computer locks up
tighter that a drum., even Ctrl+Alt+Del will not start it. Running win98SE,
Office 2002. All other office applications run just fine. I have no idea how and
what could have become corrupted. I have done detect and repair -No Luck- Is
there a file for Excel like Normal.dot for word or PPT10.pcb for PowerPoint that
may have become corrupted that I can delete, that will regenerate when I restart
Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That did it, thanks very much for the help.

--

Regards
Michael Koerner