Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Melih

Default Unable to Start Excel Event ID 2001

Hello Everyone,

We have a very puzzling situation. We are able to start Excel using the /s
switch for safe mode, but unable to start it under normal conditions. We
have searched and executed a variety of fix problems and still to no avail.
In the Event View an error shows up as Event ID 2001, but there does not seem
to be any information on this Event ID.

What have we done:
Removed and Re-Installed Office
Re-Created Short Cuts
Removed all .xlb files
Removed excel.pip file
Unchecked all Add-Ins
Removed Registry Keys as specified in Q280504
Checked the and changed the Start-Up folders

With each situation above we would restart system before attempting to start
up Excel. We have a hunch that Event ID 2001 has something to do with this.

Does anyone have any further thoughts on this matter? Thanks for your time.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Chip Pearson has some notes on how to diagnose startup errors at:

And Jan Karel Pieterse has more notes at:
http://www.jkp-ads.com/Articles/StartupProblems.htm

Maybe they'll help.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Melih

Hello Dave,

Thanks for these web pages. We reviewed them and found they pretty much
recommend all the same things as we have already found in other locations.

Since your writing we have even gone to the point of updating our Office XP
to SP3, plus a few security updates that came along with it.

Then we found some writings about WMI issues. The error message reads "The
provider OffProv10 has been registered in the WMI namespace Root/MSAPPS10,
but did not specify the HostingModel property". So we went down that path
with permission issues. Also to no avail.

The Repeated Event Viewer response we see is "Rejected Safe Mode action :
Microsoft Excel." with this Event ID.

What is truely amazing is how many problems there are out there about Event
ID 2001 (at least if you do a general search on the web) and there doesn't
seem to be anything about this at Microsoft. Same with this WMI namespace
issue mentioned above.

Our guess is that we have an eroneous error and we're chasing the wrong
thing. The real question is how do we go about debugging this to determine
where the real problem lies at this point.

We've spent hours on this problem. Anyone have any further thoughts?