e18

Default Excel start up without workbooks

As a default, Excel starts with an empty workbook (Book1).
I want Excel to start up empty, with no workbooks at all. How can I do this?

Nick Hodge

AFAIK there is no UI setting for this. You could set a Workbook_Open event
in your personal.xls to close the activeworkbook. Just tested it and it
seems to work

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
ActiveWorkbook.Close SaveChanges:=False

HTH
Nick Hodge
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Southampton, England
HIS

"e18" wrote in message
As a default, Excel starts with an empty workbook (Book1).
I want Excel to start up empty, with no workbooks at all. How can I do
this?

Gord Dibben

Append a /e to the end of your shortcut to open Excel with no splash or Book1.

OR better yet.......

Go to StartSettingsFolderOptionsFile Types. Scroll down to MS Excel
Worksheet. Then if running Win98 OS Edit select "Open" and Edit.

If using WinXP OS you would scroll down to .XLS then "Advanced"OpenEdit.

In Command line the path should be similar to this....

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\EXCEL.EXE" /e (delete the <sp/e if
you want Book1 to open.

You must have the double quotes.

Below have "use DDE" checked and this in the DDE message box....[open("%1")]

Application should read "Excel"(no quotes)

Gord Dibben Excel MVP