Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Start up files

Hi all,

I am writing a piece of code that will run each time a
user in my company opens Excel. I have already done this
in Word and have performed the following steps:

1. Write the code in an XLS and compile. The code is in an
Auto_Open event in a standard module. (It runs each time I
open the XLS file).
2. Step through code and make sure it works.
3. Save the XLS as an XLA file.
4. Add the XLA file to my Start Up folder as defined by me
in Tools/Options/General At start up, open all files in.

However my XLA file is not picked up when I open a new
instance of Excel. I know this as it is not referenced in
the VB project of the new Excel spreadsheet. Any ideas
why? (3rd party XLA files in the same directory ARE picked
up!!?) Are there issues with security?

Thanks,

Andy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

As a rule all files in the "At startup" folder are opened by Excel at
startup, as long as they do not have the system or hidden file attributes
set. So I think your add-in should be opening. (Since add-ins are not
visible how do you know it's not opening?)

Btw, putting add-ins in the "At startup.." folder is okay but typically this
technique is not used as often as (1) the XLSTART folder, or (2) using
Tools, Add-ins to auto-load the add-in.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP