Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Autofilter Limit to 1000 value

Hi

I got an excel file that contains 3000 rows
when I do autofilter it gives me onbly the top 1000 rows
Who do I extend the range that autofilter works for

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

An AutoFilter dropdown list will only show 1000 entries. If your column
has more than 1000 unique items, they can be filtered, but they can't
all be displayed in the dropdown list.

To AutoFilter for an item that doesn't appear in the dropdown list, you
can choose Custom from the drop-down list, and type the criteria, as
you're currently doing. Also, there are a couple of workarounds he

http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Check out this page from Debra Dalgleish

http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Limits

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
(Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2)

"Ice Man" wrote in message ...
Hi

I got an excel file that contains 3000 rows
when I do autofilter it gives me onbly the top 1000 rows
Who do I extend the range that autofilter works for

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

the dropdown shows a maximum of approximately 1000 unique items.

The only work around would be to use a helper column that logically groups
your data, so that no group contains more than 1000 items in this primary
column. The application of filters performs a logical AND, so selecting a
group first, would allow you to see all the possibities in the primary
column pertinent to that group.

In any event, you can always us the custom option to type in any of the
unique values, even if they are not displayed in the dropdown.

Tom Ogilvy

"Ice Man" wrote in message
Hi

I got an excel file that contains 3000 rows
when I do autofilter it gives me onbly the top 1000 rows
Who do I extend the range that autofilter works for

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Autofilter will work for all 3000 values, it just won't display more
than 1000. That can't be changed.

Check out

http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html

for some workarounds, or just choose Custom and type the criterion
in.