Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Is there a way to heirarchically group worksheets, or browse them differently?

It appears to me that the only interface to choosing which worksheet
you want to see in a workbook with multiple worksheets is to select the
worksheet's tab on the workbooks' bottom.

I have a workbook with lots of worksheets, most of which break down
logically into three or four categories. Is there a different way I
can navigate to the worksheet I want? i.e., I'd like to have four
categories at the bottom and then when you click on the category, you
get the individual worksheets, etc. Right now I just have a long set
of tabs.

I imagine there's some way to do this with macros or controls - have
the first sheet be a link to others or something. Just wondering if
there's anything built-in that I could use.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There's nothing built-in. A macro to hide/display a static group of
sheets based on selecting another sheet (or a control) wouldn't be
particularly difficult. Making the "hierarchy" customizable on the fly
is slightly more challenging, depending on how much customization you
want to allow.

In article .com,

Just wondering if there's anything built-in that I could use.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It appears to me that the only interface to choosing which worksheet
you want to see in a workbook with multiple worksheets is to select the
worksheet's tab on the workbooks' bottom.

I have a workbook with lots of worksheets, most of which break down
logically into three or four categories. Is there a different way I
can navigate to the worksheet I want? i.e., I'd like to have four
categories at the bottom and then when you click on the category, you
get the individual worksheets, etc. Right now I just have a long set
of tabs.

One simple way is to use hyperlinks.

First, imagine a "table of contents" worksheet that has hyperlinks to
several other sheets. Clicking on a hyperlink sends you to the sheet of
interest.

Then, imagine several "table of contents" sheets arranged hierarchically to
let you navigate from a main sheet to one of several categories, where each
category has hyperlinks to data sheets.

Many variations are possible.