-   -   Is there a way to heirarchically group worksheets, or browse them differently? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/99802-there-way-heirarchically-group-worksheets-browse-them-differently.html)

[email protected]

Is there a way to heirarchically group worksheets, or browse them differently?

It appears to me that the only interface to choosing which worksheet
you want to see in a workbook with multiple worksheets is to select the
worksheet's tab on the workbooks' bottom.

I have a workbook with lots of worksheets, most of which break down
logically into three or four categories. Is there a different way I
can navigate to the worksheet I want? i.e., I'd like to have four
categories at the bottom and then when you click on the category, you
get the individual worksheets, etc. Right now I just have a long set
of tabs.

I imagine there's some way to do this with macros or controls - have
the first sheet be a link to others or something. Just wondering if
there's anything built-in that I could use.

Thanks!

JE McGimpsey

Is there a way to heirarchically group worksheets, or browse them differently?

There's nothing built-in. A macro to hide/display a static group of
sheets based on selecting another sheet (or a control) wouldn't be
particularly difficult. Making the "hierarchy" customizable on the fly
is slightly more challenging, depending on how much customization you
want to allow.

In article .com,
wrote:

Just wondering if there's anything built-in that I could use.

MyVeryOwnSelf

Is there a way to heirarchically group worksheets, or browse them differently?

It appears to me that the only interface to choosing which worksheet
you want to see in a workbook with multiple worksheets is to select the
worksheet's tab on the workbooks' bottom.

I have a workbook with lots of worksheets, most of which break down
logically into three or four categories. Is there a different way I
can navigate to the worksheet I want? i.e., I'd like to have four
categories at the bottom and then when you click on the category, you
get the individual worksheets, etc. Right now I just have a long set
of tabs.

One simple way is to use hyperlinks.

First, imagine a "table of contents" worksheet that has hyperlinks to
several other sheets. Clicking on a hyperlink sends you to the sheet of
interest.

Then, imagine several "table of contents" sheets arranged hierarchically to
let you navigate from a main sheet to one of several categories, where each
category has hyperlinks to data sheets.

Many variations are possible.