Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BER BER is offline

Default Highlight repeat entries

I have a huge spreadsheet where my secretary entries patient names and other
important data I am wondering if she inputs a patient name on excel
spreadsheet twice is there any way the sytem could notify me/her of this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

"BER" wrote:
I have a huge spreadsheet where my secretary entries patient names and other
important data I am wondering if she inputs a patient name on excel
spreadsheet twice is there any way the system could notify me/her of this?

One way is via Data Validation ..

Assuming name inputs are going down col A ..

Select col A
Click Data Validation
Allow: Custom
Formula: =COUNTIF(A:A,A1)<2
Click OK

Test it out ..
--
Max
Singapore
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BER BER is offline

Thanks Max that is great when entering new data it certainly works, now can
you help me to check the entries already there to see if there are duplicates
there already

"Max" wrote:

"BER" wrote:
I have a huge spreadsheet where my secretary entries patient names and other
important data I am wondering if she inputs a patient name on excel
spreadsheet twice is there any way the system could notify me/her of this?

One way is via Data Validation ..

Assuming name inputs are going down col A ..

Select col A
Click Data Validation
Allow: Custom
Formula: =COUNTIF(A:A,A1)<2
Click OK

Test it out ..
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

"BER" wrote:
Thanks Max that is great when entering new data it certainly works, now can
you help me to check the entries already there to see if there are duplicates
there already

One way ..

Assuming existing names running in A2 down,
using an empty col to the right, say col E

Put in E2:
=IF(COUNTIF($A$2:A2,A2)1,"Dup","")
Copy down

This will flag duplicate names within col A if any, with the text: Dup in
col E

Then you could do a data filter autofilter on col E,
and select "Dup" from the autofilter droplist in E1
to filter out all the duplicates for closer inspection ..