Brian Connolly

Default Searching a list with repeat entries and creating a sum

I have an array (single column) of part codes with an assciated number of
parts in an adjacent column. Given that there may be duplicate entries in the
part code column, how do I create a new column of unique part codes (i.e each
part code listed only once in the column) and a second colum with the nummber
of parts associated with that part code.
Debra Dalgleish

To summarize the data, you could build a pivot table and pivot chart.
There are instructions and links for pivot tables on Jon Peltier's site:

Add headings to the first row of the list, e.g. PartCode
Select a cell in the list
Choose DataPivotTable Report
Click Next, select the list, click Next
Click Layout
Drag the PartCode button to the row area
Drag another copy of the PartCode button to the Data area,
where it will become Count of PartCode
Click Next, choose a location for the Pivot Table, click Finish

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List