Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
lorraine knight

Default How do I import a CSV file to excel

I have a csv file seperated by a ; in a notepad. one line has 10 bits of
data, there are upto 40 lines or records. I want to import the data to
excel, when I use the Data/Import wizard, it places each record within
the notepad to one column, how do I get it to split the data within
each of the ; into a seperate column, using one row for each record.

Lorraine

--
lorraine knight
lorraine knight's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35294

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sheila D

Do you have each bit of data seperated with , or some other character. When
you do the Data Import make sure you choose delimited on the 1st screnn and
then specify how the data is seperated. HTH
Sheila
"lorraine knight" wrote:

I have a csv file seperated by a ; in a notepad. one line has 10 bits of
data, there are upto 40 lines or records. I want to import the data to
excel, when I use the Data/Import wizard, it places each record within
the notepad to one column, how do I get it to split the data within
each of the ; into a seperate column, using one row for each record.

Lorraine

--
lorraine knight
lorraine knight's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35294
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557321

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Terry Tipsy

If I understand your problem, your data is seperated by semi-colons. When
using the 'Wizard' did you select 'Delimited' then 'Semicolon?' If not, this
could do the trick.
--
T Tipsy

"lorraine knight" wrote:

I have a csv file seperated by a ; in a notepad. one line has 10 bits of
data, there are upto 40 lines or records. I want to import the data to
excel, when I use the Data/Import wizard, it places each record within
the notepad to one column, how do I get it to split the data within
each of the ; into a seperate column, using one row for each record.

Lorraine

--
lorraine knight
lorraine knight's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35294
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557321

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

What do you have for your windows list separator?

Close excel
windows start button|settings|control panel|Regional and language options

Click the customize button
Numbers Tab
List separator

Make sure it matches your data.

Alternatively, you could always select that column and do data|text to columns.
Choose delimited by.

=====
Another alternative is to rename the *.csv file to *.txt. Then you'll be able
to specify delimited by a semicolon in the wizard.

lorraine knight wrote:

I have a csv file seperated by a ; in a notepad. one line has 10 bits of
data, there are upto 40 lines or records. I want to import the data to
excel, when I use the Data/Import wizard, it places each record within
the notepad to one column, how do I get it to split the data within
each of the ; into a seperate column, using one row for each record.

Lorraine

--
lorraine knight
lorraine knight's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35294
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=557321

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Change the *.csv filename to *.txt

Open that *.txt file in Excel and you should get the Text Import Wizard which
allows you to split the data into the 10 columns via the "delimited by" which in
your case would be the ;

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP