Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Default How do I import a CSV file to excel

What do you have for your windows list separator?

Close excel
windows start button|settings|control panel|Regional and language options

Click the customize button
Numbers Tab
List separator

Make sure it matches your data.

Alternatively, you could always select that column and do data|text to columns.
Choose delimited by.

=====
Another alternative is to rename the *.csv file to *.txt. Then you'll be able
to specify delimited by a semicolon in the wizard.

lorraine knight wrote:

I have a csv file seperated by a ; in a notepad. one line has 10 bits of
data, there are upto 40 lines or records. I want to import the data to
excel, when I use the Data/Import wizard, it places each record within
the notepad to one column, how do I get it to split the data within
each of the ; into a seperate column, using one row for each record.

Lorraine

--
lorraine knight
lorraine knight's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35294