Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pheasant Plucker®

Default YACFQ - Yet Another Conditional Formatting Question...

I'll never get the hang of this...:-(

I had a similar problem recently that was solved in this ng (Thanks Dave:-)
but have a related problem that I thought I could solve by applying the same
logic - alas it was not meant to be for me :-(

I want to use Conditional Formatting to achieve the following - if the value
in Cell H15 is lower than 75 then colour it red.

This I can achieve quite easily by using the following in Condition 1:

If Cell Value is Less Than 75 then Format Pattern Red

However I do not want the cell to be coloured Red if there is no value in
there at all - I only want to be able to turn the cell red after I have
input the value and that value is less than 75

Obviously I need to test for input in H15 prior to checking if it is below
75 and invoking the colour change if it is - leaving no change if it has no
value or is 75 or above.

I have tried using a COUNTA but cannot seem to get it to work.

Can some kind soul help me out on this one (again) please?

--
Thanks & regards,
-pp-

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Hi!

Just a little tweak is all you need.

Use the Formula Is option
Formula is: =AND(ISNUMBER(H15),H15<75)

Biff

"Pheasant Plucker®" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK

Change the format condition to "Formua Is" rather than "Cell Value Is"
and enter this formula;

=AND(H150,H15<75)

You can still have the same red background format.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pheasant Plucker®

Thanks for the quick reply Biff.

Did I miss something here or was my original post not as clear as it should
have been...

I tried your formula but even though at rest the cell is clear (good) if I
enter 75 or above the Cell is still red (bad)?

I only want it to change to Red if below 75 - if 75 or above I do not want
to colour it - just leave it as a normal cell...

Thanks for your patience!

Regards,
-=pp=-

"Biff" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pheasant Plucker®

Thanks for the quick reply Pete,

I must have missed something here as both suggestions from yourself & Biff
did not work for me...

I tried your formula but even though at rest the cell is clear (good) if I
enter 75 or above the Cell is still red (bad)?

I only want it to change to Red if below 75 - if 75 or above I do not want
to colour it - just leave it as a normal cell...

Thanks for your patience also!

Regards,
-=pp=-

"Pete_UK" wrote in message
ups.com...
Change the format condition to "Formua Is" rather than "Cell Value Is"
and enter this formula;

=AND(H150,H15<75)

You can still have the same red background format.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Hmmm.....

Do you have any other conditions? Condition 2 and/or condition 3?

If this is the ONLY condition it should work!

"Biff" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pheasant Plucker®

Hi Biff,

No...no other conditions at all...

No formula in the cell either...wait a minute...would it matter if the
Format Cells/Number is set for a Percentage?
..
..
..
..
Yup...that's it...if I set it to a number it works as you guys thought it
would.

OK...how's about my setting it to a number instead of a percentage?

Or what should the formula be if I left it as a percentage?

<mind racing away here

What would the Conditional Formatting be if I wanted H15 to be left
uncoloured if there is no value, red if the value is below 75 and green if
75 or above?

Sorry for all the questions...

Thanks & regards,
-=pp=-

"Biff" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

would it matter if the Format Cells/Number is set for a Percentage?

Bingo!

So, change the formula to:

=AND(ISNUMBER(H15),H15<0.75)

Biff

"Pheasant Plucker®" wrote in message
Hi Biff,

No...no other conditions at all...

No formula in the cell either...wait a minute...would it matter if the
Format Cells/Number is set for a Percentage?
.
.
.
.

"Biff" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Oops!

Missed this portion:

What would the Conditional Formatting be if I wanted H15 to be left
uncoloured if there is no value, red if the value is below 75 and green if
75 or above?

Condition 1
Formula is: =AND(ISNUMBER(H15),H15<0.75)
Set color to RED

Condition 2
Formula is: =AND(ISNUMBER(H15),H15=0.75)
Set color to GREEN

"Biff" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pheasant Plucker®

Thanks Biff,

I have moved away from the Percentage and formatted the cell as a number.

I see you use ISNUMBER in your formula

I currently have;

Condition 1
Formula Is =AND(H150,H15<75)
Pattern RED

Condition 2
Cell Value Is greater than or equal To 75
Pattern GREEN

Does that have any impact upon anything else or would the two ISNUMBER
formulae be the 'correct' way to go?

I only used AND as it was shorter, easier to type and reduced the chance of
me making a mistake!

One last question if I may...as I use H15 & H16 to input the scores of what
I call Pre and Post Test results is there a way to highlight H16 if it turns
out to be lower than the score in H15?

Theoretically the Post Test score would usually be higher but it would be
good to flag it if it turns out to be lower than the Pre Test score.

Would this be complicated to achieve?

Thanks & regards,
-=pp=-

"Biff" wrote in message
Oops!

Missed this portion:

"Biff" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mark Lincoln

Choose Formula Is and type in the following:

=AND(NOT(ISBLANK(H15)),H15<75)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pete_UK

You and Biff seem to have got to the bottom of this - sorry I wasn't
around (live football on TV!)

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pheasant Plucker®

Hey Pete,

Priorities...I am the sad one! ;^)

Kind regards,
-=pp=-

"Pete_UK" wrote in message
oups.com...
You and Biff seem to have got to the bottom of this - sorry I wasn't
around (live football on TV!)

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

snip

Condition 1
Formula Is =AND(H150,H15<75)
Pattern RED

Condition 2
Cell Value Is greater than or equal To 75
Pattern GREEN

Does that have any impact upon anything else or would the two ISNUMBER
formulae be the 'correct' way to go?

snip

Try entering a text value in cell H15 and see what happens.

I use Isnumber to add a little more robutness. Isnumber eliminates the empty
cell problem and the TEXT problem at the same time. I always use the
"Formula is" option. Just my personal preference, but writing a formula
gives you more versatility.

One last question if I may...as I use H15 & H16 to input the scores of
what
I call Pre and Post Test results is there a way to highlight H16 if it
turns
out to be lower than the score in H15?

For H16:

Formula is: =AND(COUNT(H15,H16)=2,H16<H15)

Using Count makes sure both cells are not empty and both cells contain
numbers and it's shorter than:

=AND(ISNUMBER(H15),ISNUMBER(H16),H16<H15)
=AND(COUNT(H15,H16)=2,H16<H15)

[...]

"Biff" wrote in message
Oops!

Missed this portion:

"Biff" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pheasant Plucker®

Thanks for your patience and the great help Biff.

I have changed the CF to use ISNUMBER in both conditions in H15 and have
plugged in your Formula Is in the CF for H16 and al works well.

Thanks again & kind regards,
-=pp=-

"Biff" wrote in message
[...]

"Biff" wrote in message
Oops!

Missed this portion:

"Biff" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pheasant Plucker®

Sorry...me again...:-/

Last question for you I promise... ;^)

Can I modify H16 slightly whereby if the value in H16 is lower than H15 it
is highlighted RED (by using your formula this works as expected) but with
the proviso if H16 is below 75 then it turns RED anyway even if it is higher
than H15?

Currently with your CF formula in the scenario above, i.e. if H15 is 70 and
H16 is 74 then H16 is not flagged RED because it is higher than H15 but it
needs to be flagged RED as it is still lower than the 75 pass mark.

Does that make sense Biff?

I know what I mean but it is late and I am tired...;^)

Thanks & regards,
-=pp=-

"Biff" wrote in message
snip
One last question if I may...as I use H15 & H16 to input the scores of
what
I call Pre and Post Test results is there a way to highlight H16 if it
turns
out to be lower than the score in H15?

For H16:

Formula is: =AND(COUNT(H15,H16)=2,H16<H15)

Using Count makes sure both cells are not empty and both cells contain
numbers and it's shorter than:

=AND(ISNUMBER(H15),ISNUMBER(H16),H16<H15)
=AND(COUNT(H15,H16)=2,H16<H15)

Biff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

No problem!

Try this:

=AND(COUNT(H15,H16)=2,OR(H16<H15,H16<75))

Biff

"Pheasant Plucker®" wrote in message
Sorry...me again...:-/

Last question for you I promise... ;^)

Can I modify H16 slightly whereby if the value in H16 is lower than H15 it
is highlighted RED (by using your formula this works as expected) but with
the proviso if H16 is below 75 then it turns RED anyway even if it is
higher
than H15?

Currently with your CF formula in the scenario above, i.e. if H15 is 70
and
H16 is 74 then H16 is not flagged RED because it is higher than H15 but it
needs to be flagged RED as it is still lower than the 75 pass mark.

Does that make sense Biff?

I know what I mean but it is late and I am tired...;^)

Thanks & regards,
-=pp=-

snip