sagan

Default Conditional Formatting Cell < Today()

I always have issues with conditional formatting when I want to use a
formula and pointing at the value of the same cell.

Here is the problem:

Due Date is in A1

if(Due Date < today()) do formatting

I tried using
Cell Value is | less than | today() but when I enter that it just puts
" " around today as if it is text.

When I use Formula Is, I'm not sure how to reference back to the cell
in question.

This format needs to be copied down indefinitely in the due date
column. So I'm trying to write a formula where I can select the
column then go to conditional formatting and write the formula.

I know this SHOULD be easy but like I said the conditional formatting
interface is strange to me (compared to using worksheet formulas or
vba)

--
sagan
sagan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27438

sagan

I'm dumb here we go:

=IF(A1<TODAY(),TRUE,FALSE)

You have to make sure to specify true or false it is not automatically
returned.. i.e.
if(a1<today()) is not going to work.

--
sagan
sagan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27438
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=469507

swatsp0p

Sagan:

Try this in your CF:

In cell A1, click FormatConditional Formatting...

Condition 1:

Formula Is: "<Today()" (no quotes).

Set desired formatting.

You don't need to reference the cell you are in if the value of that
cell is what you are basing your condition on.

Also works:

Cell value Is: Less Than: ="today()" (entered exactly as shown)

HTH

Bruce

--
swatsp0p