Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
redneck joe

Default countif help, please

Hello – need help with a formula. I’ve tried searching, looked through
about 30 threads but can’t find a match.

I need to search a column for 3 different parameters (“RC”,”NC”,”RS”)
and if it finds it in a cell, I need to go to specific cell in another
column (same row) and read (“complete” or “not done”) then total all
those findings into the formula cell.

I try to learn this stuff on my own, but my brain is just too tired
today...

Thanks
rdj

--
redneck joe
redneck joe's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32570

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Try something like this:
=IF(OR(A2="RC",A2="NC",A2="RS"),"Complete","Not done")
You can then fill this formula down all of your rows. For a total use
COUNTIF():
=COUNTIF(C2:C1000,"Completed")

Andy.

"redneck joe" wrote
in message ...

Hello - need help with a formula. I've tried searching, looked through
about 30 threads but can't find a match.

I need to search a column for 3 different parameters ("RC","NC","RS")
and if it finds it in a cell, I need to go to specific cell in another
column (same row) and read ("complete" or "not done") then total all
those findings into the formula cell.

I try to learn this stuff on my own, but my brain is just too tired
today...

Thanks
rdj

--
redneck joe
redneck joe's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=523676

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
redneck joe

Can I combine the two into one formula?

I've got the countif part for the first parameter (NC,RC,RS) to pull.
Then if it sees one of those it needs to then check another specific
cell for the complete/not complete and sum those only all those. The
complete/not complete

The column containing the NC,RC,RS can also contain other (job) types,
but I only want to count the three listed, either complete.not
complete.

Make sense?

[...]

View this thread:

redneck joe
redneck joe's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32570
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=523676

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
kraljb

=COUNTIF(A1:A1000,"NC")+COUNTIF(A1:A1000,"RC")+COU NTIF(A1:A1000,"RS")

But then you don't get to have the Complete Not-Completes filled in on
the other column

--
kraljb
kraljb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=9955

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Cutter

Not sure if this is what you want or not:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A5000={"RC","NC","RS"})*(B1:B5000= "complete"))

This gives you the number of times the word "complete" appears in
column B and the letters RC, NC or RS appear in Col A on the same row.

Is that what you're looking for?

--
Cutter
Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=9848

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
redneck joe

not quite - I tried it and got an N/A. I'm sure I'm not explaining it
correctly.

in your formula, the A column individual jobs with corresponding job
types (of which there are many) I am only concerned with the three
listed. Then if it finds one in column A, it needs to look over to
column B and read the complete/not complete for this indiviual job.

maybe this will help?

If job type in column A is X,
then read cell X in same row, column B,
then if "complete",
sum all "completes" of job type X.

??

Cutter Wrote:
Not sure if this is what you want or not:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A5000={"RC","NC","RS"})*(B1:B5000= "complete"))

This gives you the number of times the word "complete" appears in
column B and the letters RC, NC or RS appear in Col A on the same row.

Is that what you're looking for?

--
redneck joe
redneck joe's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32570
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=523676

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Cutter

That is what the formula I gave you does. It looks at column A and if
the value found is either RC, NC or RS it looks at column B. If it
finds the word "complete" in column B it counts it. The end result is
the total number of times RC and "complete" are on the same row + NC
and "complete" are on the same row + RS and "complete" are on the same
row.

If that isn't what you want then I don't understand what you're looking
for.

--
Cutter
Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=9848
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=523676

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
redneck joe

I've been staring at this dang thing too long.

Note to self:
When testing a formula, enter in the value you are testing for.....

Thanks for your help - sorry to be a bit slow.

--
redneck joe
redneck joe's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32570
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=523676

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Cutter

Does that mean it's working the way you need it to work (formula is
giving results that match the expected results)?

If so, you're welcome. Glad to help.

If not, we'll keep trying.

--
Cutter
Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=9848
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=523676

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
redneck joe

Yes, works perfectly.... I used to think I was good with excel, until
I learned what it can really do - problem is every time I learn
something new I feel more stupid than when I started.

Been working on this one for about a week now - and alot of "eyes" will
be looking at this one - so I've stressed to the point where I forget
the obvious.

One more question, different task. Is there an easy way to replicate
formulas when the rows pull from different tabs?

I'm making a summary page, and have 20 shops with their own tabs. A
particular row needs info pulled from each sites' tab. Other than
typing each formula, can you copy paste and have it adjust to the tab
the way a formula does for cells?

Cutter Wrote:
Does that mean it's working the way you need it to work (formula is
giving results that match the expected results)?

If so, you're welcome. Glad to help.

If not, we'll keep trying.

--
redneck joe
redneck joe's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32570
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=523676

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Cutter

Firstly, glad you got it working. I, too, thought I was good at Excel.
But it turns out that I only looked good because everyone else where I
worked really sucked at it. Then I found this forum and discovered
that I really suck at it compared to the guys and gals who are actually
really good at it.

Everything's relative.

As for your new question. It sounds like you might be able to use the
INDIRECT() function. I visualize your summary sheet as having the 20
shop names on a header row (one shop name to a column). If the shop
names in that row match the shop names on the tabs you could utilize
the INDIRECT() function to drag the formula across those columns.

--
Cutter
Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=9848
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=523676

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
redneck joe

Same story here.

I'll try that one - thanks. I start with Help, research what I can,
try over and over and over, then last ditch, ask for help.