Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
redneck joe

Default countif help, please

not quite - I tried it and got an N/A. I'm sure I'm not explaining it
correctly.

in your formula, the A column individual jobs with corresponding job
types (of which there are many) I am only concerned with the three
listed. Then if it finds one in column A, it needs to look over to
column B and read the complete/not complete for this indiviual job.

maybe this will help?

If job type in column A is X,
then read cell X in same row, column B,
then if "complete",
sum all "completes" of job type X.

??

Cutter Wrote:
Not sure if this is what you want or not:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A5000={"RC","NC","RS"})*(B1:B5000= "complete"))

This gives you the number of times the word "complete" appears in
column B and the letters RC, NC or RS appear in Col A on the same row.

Is that what you're looking for?

--
redneck joe
redneck joe's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32570