Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Excel GuRu

Default MS Query - unable to edit query

In Excel, I open a new spreadsheet, set up a new database query, select the
tables, fields, and criteria for my query, return the data to excel. Once I
return the data to Excel, it appears I am unable to edit the query. I've
tested this in multiple spreadsheets and the same error occurs. Does anybody
have an idea what the issue could be. I am querying an Oracle Database and
am running Excel 2003.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

What's the exact error message.

If it's only the warning that MS Query cannot display the query, just ignore
the warning and continue. Otherwise, the error message will hopefully give
us a clue to the problem.

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Excel GuRu" wrote:

In Excel, I open a new spreadsheet, set up a new database query, select the
tables, fields, and criteria for my query, return the data to excel. Once I
return the data to Excel, it appears I am unable to edit the query. I've
tested this in multiple spreadsheets and the same error occurs. Does anybody
have an idea what the issue could be. I am querying an Oracle Database and
am running Excel 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Excel GuRu

No error message.

When logged into the query, I click on edit query button and nothing
happens. Sometimes the MS Query program appears to start(appears on the
bottom of screen breifly) but goes away quickly. No error message, but
nothing happens either.

"Excel GuRu" wrote:

In Excel, I open a new spreadsheet, set up a new database query, select the
tables, fields, and criteria for my query, return the data to excel. Once I
return the data to Excel, it appears I am unable to edit the query. I've
tested this in multiple spreadsheets and the same error occurs. Does anybody
have an idea what the issue could be. I am querying an Oracle Database and
am running Excel 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Excel GuRu

I have generated the most simple queries of small tables with no criteria and
I am having the same issue.

"Excel GuRu" wrote:

In Excel, I open a new spreadsheet, set up a new database query, select the
tables, fields, and criteria for my query, return the data to excel. Once I
return the data to Excel, it appears I am unable to edit the query. I've
tested this in multiple spreadsheets and the same error occurs. Does anybody
have an idea what the issue could be. I am querying an Oracle Database and
am running Excel 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

Unfortunately, I have no experience with that problem. I searched the MSKB
and Google to no avail.

You might try these SWAGs:

-Reboot and try again.
or
-Reboot and recreate the query from scratch.
or
-Use an Excel list or Access table as the data source to see if you get the
same error.
or
Any combination of the above.

Hopefully, somebody has run into this before and can give us some insight.,

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Excel GuRu" wrote:

In Excel, I open a new spreadsheet, set up a new database query, select the
tables, fields, and criteria for my query, return the data to excel. Once I
return the data to Excel, it appears I am unable to edit the query. I've
tested this in multiple spreadsheets and the same error occurs. Does anybody
have an idea what the issue could be. I am querying an Oracle Database and
am running Excel 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Excel GuRu

I was able to create a query that referred to another excel file, return
data, save file, reopen file, refresh query and update query. So it works
when I query from one excel file to another, but not when I query from excel
to Oracle.... Let me know if anyone has any suggestions. This is very
frustrating.

"Excel GuRu" wrote:

In Excel, I open a new spreadsheet, set up a new database query, select the
tables, fields, and criteria for my query, return the data to excel. Once I
return the data to Excel, it appears I am unable to edit the query. I've
tested this in multiple spreadsheets and the same error occurs. Does anybody
have an idea what the issue could be. I am querying an Oracle Database and
am running Excel 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Excel GuRu

Tried something different. Had another user create a query and save the
query from Microsoft Excel. I copied the query to my hard drive. I open a
new spreadshet, new database query, select queries tab, browse to find the
query, when I select the query I get the following error message.

"Data source name not found and no default driver specified."

Any thoughts?

"Excel GuRu" wrote:

In Excel, I open a new spreadsheet, set up a new database query, select the
tables, fields, and criteria for my query, return the data to excel. Once I
return the data to Excel, it appears I am unable to edit the query. I've
tested this in multiple spreadsheets and the same error occurs. Does anybody
have an idea what the issue could be. I am querying an Oracle Database and
am running Excel 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

I have one question:
TNSNAMES.ORA?

If you don't know what that means, then I think we may have found your
problem.

Let me know.

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Excel GuRu" wrote:

In Excel, I open a new spreadsheet, set up a new database query, select the
tables, fields, and criteria for my query, return the data to excel. Once I
return the data to Excel, it appears I am unable to edit the query. I've
tested this in multiple spreadsheets and the same error occurs. Does anybody
have an idea what the issue could be. I am querying an Oracle Database and
am running Excel 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
johnthemonn

hello Ron,

I have the exact same problem as Excel GuRu and I do not know what
TNSNAMES.ORA means so please enlighten us

"Excel GuRu" wrote:

In Excel, I open a new spreadsheet, set up a new database query, select the
tables, fields, and criteria for my query, return the data to excel. Once I
return the data to Excel, it appears I am unable to edit the query. I've
tested this in multiple spreadsheets and the same error occurs. Does anybody
have an idea what the issue could be. I am querying an Oracle Database and
am running Excel 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

For a reason I can't quite fathom, a big company like Oracle built a clunky
interface for external applications to query their databases.

The necessary components a
the Oracle instance
the Client software
AND....the TNSNAMES.ORA file

That is a specially formatted text file that the client software and DSN
connections uses to connect to the Oracle database.

This is a typical TNSNAMES.ORA entry:
prod.busyb =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS =
(COMMUNITY = TCPCOM.world)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(HOST = 131.101.62.20)
(PORT = 1521)
)
)
(CONNECT_DATA = (SID = PROD)
)
)

I use VBA and a DSN-less connection to access Oracle, so I'm a bit rusty on
the specifiics...but, when using ODBC you need to make sure the proper
TNSNAMES entry exists in that file. Your DBA can assist.

Does that help?

Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro