Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
STEFANO LARGHI

Default Protection Lists

hi.
i HAVE A TROBULE.
i create a list in a spreadsheet and then i want to protect the
spreadsheet cells but the list.
following the logical way (I protect the sheet) prevent the list to
work.
can somebody tell me what to do (without macros)?
thanks

--
STEFANO LARGHI
STEFANO LARGHI's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31763

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Karen

Hi Stefano,

I use Excel 2003 and I'm guessing you may want users to be able to
edit/change certain sections of your spreadsheet, but not all of it.
If that's the case, here's what I usually do:

You can select a specific range of cells that you want to remain
unprotected.

What I usually do is select the range of cells to remain uprotected.
Go to: Tools Protection Allow Users to Edit Ranges
In the Dialogue box, click on "NEW"
You'll get a new dialogue box with your highlighted range asking for a
password...leave the password section blank and click OK.
Back at the regular dialogue box, protect your sheet in the usual way
with whatever password you choose.

What should happen going forward is that anyone opening your sheet
won't be able to make changes to it, except for the cells that you
defined in your range (the range you selected and for which you left
the password section "blank".)

Good luck with this!
Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
STEFANO LARGHI

Dear Karen, thank U for your posting, but.. that doesn't work: in fact
i'm working with "automated lists" (see attached file) and protecting
the sheet will disable te automatic expansion of the list.
Could U try a tell me more ?
Thanks
Stefano

|Filename: Cartel11.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4387 |

STEFANO LARGHI
STEFANO LARGHI's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31763
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=514874

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Karen

Hi Stefano,

I'm so sorry that I misunderstood your original question. My
understanding is that generally, true "lists" are unable to be created
or modified while the cells in the worksheet are protected.

Hopefully one of the Excel experts will be along soon to help you find
a solution or confirm whether there's a workaround for this.

Best wishes,
Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
STEFANO LARGHI