Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Karen

Default Protection Lists

Hi Stefano,

I use Excel 2003 and I'm guessing you may want users to be able to
edit/change certain sections of your spreadsheet, but not all of it.
If that's the case, here's what I usually do:

You can select a specific range of cells that you want to remain
unprotected.

What I usually do is select the range of cells to remain uprotected.
Go to: Tools Protection Allow Users to Edit Ranges
In the Dialogue box, click on "NEW"
You'll get a new dialogue box with your highlighted range asking for a
password...leave the password section blank and click OK.
Back at the regular dialogue box, protect your sheet in the usual way
with whatever password you choose.

What should happen going forward is that anyone opening your sheet
won't be able to make changes to it, except for the cells that you
defined in your range (the range you selected and for which you left
the password section "blank".)

Good luck with this!
Karen