Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim May

Default Elimination of "box character" at end of test line

I've just imported 200 lines of test, most of which are
followed by the "small square box" which I interpret to
mean the "return-key", or the like.

Using an If statement, how do I identify the "character"?

=If(right(a1,1)= ? , left(a1,len(a1)-1),a1)

Thanks in advance...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bill Martin

Ask Excel and it will tell you. If it's the right most character you're
interested in, and one of your text lines is in A1, then enter:

[B1] = code(right(A1,1))

Bill
-----------------------
Jim May wrote:
I've just imported 200 lines of test, most of which are
followed by the "small square box" which I interpret to
mean the "return-key", or the like.

Using an If statement, how do I identify the "character"?

=If(right(a1,1)= ? , left(a1,len(a1)-1),a1)

Thanks in advance...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim May

Bill,
Your're right - forgot to "think one step further".
Got it going here with:

=IF(CODE(RIGHT(H1,1))=13,LEFT(H1,LEN(H1)-1),H1)

Jim May wrote:
I've just imported 200 lines of test, most of which are
followed by the "small square box" which I interpret to
mean the "return-key", or the like.

Using an If statement, how do I identify the "character"?

=If(right(a1,1)= ? , left(a1,len(a1)-1),a1)

Thanks in advance...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

Chip Pearson has a nifty little Add-in called Cell Viewer which is what I use