-   -   Elimination of "box character" at end of test line (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/71264-elimination-box-character-end-test-line.html)

Jim May

Elimination of "box character" at end of test line

I've just imported 200 lines of test, most of which are
followed by the "small square box" which I interpret to
mean the "return-key", or the like.

Using an If statement, how do I identify the "character"?

=If(right(a1,1)= ? , left(a1,len(a1)-1),a1)

Thanks in advance...

Bill Martin

Elimination of "box character" at end of test line

Ask Excel and it will tell you. If it's the right most character you're
interested in, and one of your text lines is in A1, then enter:

[B1] = code(right(A1,1))

Bill
-----------------------
Jim May wrote:
I've just imported 200 lines of test, most of which are
followed by the "small square box" which I interpret to
mean the "return-key", or the like.

Using an If statement, how do I identify the "character"?

=If(right(a1,1)= ? , left(a1,len(a1)-1),a1)

Thanks in advance...

Jim May

Elimination of "box character" at end of test line

Bill,
Your're right - forgot to "think one step further".
Got it going here with:

=IF(CODE(RIGHT(H1,1))=13,LEFT(H1,LEN(H1)-1),H1)

Jim May wrote:
I've just imported 200 lines of test, most of which are
followed by the "small square box" which I interpret to
mean the "return-key", or the like.

Using an If statement, how do I identify the "character"?

=If(right(a1,1)= ? , left(a1,len(a1)-1),a1)

Thanks in advance...

CLR

Elimination of "box character" at end of test line

Chip Pearson has a nifty little Add-in called Cell Viewer which is what I use