Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim May

Default Elimination of "box character" at end of test line

Bill,
Your're right - forgot to "think one step further".
Got it going here with:

=IF(CODE(RIGHT(H1,1))=13,LEFT(H1,LEN(H1)-1),H1)

"Bill Martin" wrote:

Ask Excel and it will tell you. If it's the right most character you're
interested in, and one of your text lines is in A1, then enter:

[B1] = code(right(A1,1))

Bill
Jim May wrote:
I've just imported 200 lines of test, most of which are
followed by the "small square box" which I interpret to
mean the "return-key", or the like.

Using an If statement, how do I identify the "character"?

=If(right(a1,1)= ? , left(a1,len(a1)-1),a1)

Thanks in advance...