John Cordes

Default Label an average line in a dynamic chart

I have a chart (xy scatter) showing the last 52 weeks of data (it's
accumulated weekly dosage of a medicine - several years worth of data),
i.e. total dose per week plotted against the dates. I also have an
average line (Series 2) charted - it's the average of the 52 y-values. I
did it by creating some 'dummy' values in the data sheet, looking
something like this:
E F
1 12/06/2004 1.798076923
2 11/06/2005 1.798076923

Then the line is constructed from
=SERIES("Average",Data!$E$1:$E$2,Data!$F$1:$F$2,2)

As a final finishing touch I'd like to have a label (1.80 to 2 decimals)
placed at the right end of the line. All I've been able to come up
with so far is to have the two data labels plotted, but then the number
1.80 appears both at the left and right end of the line; the one on the
left is on the right of the data point and so overwrites the horizontal
line (I just have the line showing, not the data points). Doesn't look
very good.

I hope I've managed to explain my setup satisfactorily, and that
someone might be able to suggest a way to have just a single label
showing the average value beside my "Average Line".

Thanks,
John
John Cordes

While walking home from a lecture this evening I thought of the very
simple solution to my problem. Just add a third data Series to the chart
with only the right hand end point - label it and voila!

John

John Cordes wrote:
As a final finishing touch I'd like to have a label (1.80 to 2 decimals)
placed at the right end of the line. All I've been able to come up with
so far is to have the two data labels plotted, but then the number 1.80
appears both at the left and right end of the line; the one on the left
is on the right of the data point and so overwrites the horizontal line
(I just have the line showing, not the data points). Doesn't look very
good.
John

Jon Peltier

John -

You can also apply a label to an individual point, instead of the whole
series. Select the point (requires two single clicks), then use my
favorite shortcut, Ctrl+1 (numeral one) to open the Format dialog. On
the Data Labels tab, add the style of label you want for this point,
presumably Value.

If you already have the labels, you can selectively delete one. Select
the individual label (two single clicks, like selecting the single point
above), and press Delete.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

John Cordes wrote:

As a final finishing touch I'd like to have a label (1.80 to 2
decimals) placed at the right end of the line. All I've been able to
come up with so far is to have the two data labels plotted, but then
the number 1.80 appears both at the left and right end of the line;
the one on the left is on the right of the data point and so
overwrites the horizontal line (I just have the line showing, not the
data points). Doesn't look very good.
John

John Cordes

Ah - didn't know about the capability of controlling the labels for
individual points (though I had certainly wondered about it (and looked
for it)). Thank you Jon.

John