Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
roger_home

Default Easy (?) questions for setting up a database

I'm setting up a database for work (printing company) and have a few
questions...I'll try to be specific as possible, but be aware, I am
only a newbie/intermediate user of EXCEL.

1). I want EXCEL to put a # sign in front of the number I type in any
cell in column B (job number)...how do I set that up?

2). Here's what I'll have:
Column D (item) will have a drop down box with 5 or 6 choices (letter,
survey, etc.). No problem.
Column G (sides) will have a 1 or a 2 for number of sides being printed
on piece.
Column H (print quantity) will be final number of pieces.
Column I (press sheets) will be number of sheets of paper used.
Column J (impressions) will be number of impressions by press. (2 sided
will have twice the impressions)

So I don't have to figure this stuff out with a calculator, what I need
is based on the item picked in Column D, number of sides picked in
column G, and quantity typed in column H, I will need either the same
number in column H as G, half as much, or *one-third* as much.

I also need based on the item picked in Column D, number of sides
picked in column G, and quantity typed in column H, I will need either
the same number in column I as G, half as much, or *two-thirds* as
much.

Variations are based on number up on a page...i.e., 1, 2,3. Would it
help to have a separate column for this to figure the things I just
asked about?

Thanks so much for your help.
roger_home

--
roger_home
roger_home's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=16434

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
via135

hi

YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN TO DESCRIBE THE STRUCTURE OF COL"A" & COL"C"?!

-via135

roger_home Wrote:
[...]

via135's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26725
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=511354

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
roger_home

Column A is client names...column C is drops (mail dates)

--
roger_home
roger_home's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=16434
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=511354

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
flummi

I think it yould help if you just explained your problem with an
example.

names drops Type sides Qty sheets impress
Miller 12.02.2006Letter 2 1000
Survey 1 1000

Questions:

Qty means sheets of paper?
What do you want to see under sheets? Isn't sheets the same as Qty
(number of sheets of paper)?
What do you want to see under impressions? Isn't the number of
impressions for a 2-sided sheet = Qty*sides?

Hans