Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
via135

Default Easy (?) questions for setting up a database

hi

YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN TO DESCRIBE THE STRUCTURE OF COL"A" & COL"C"?!

-via135

roger_home Wrote:
I'm setting up a database for work (printing company) and have a few
questions...I'll try to be specific as possible, but be aware, I am
only a newbie/intermediate user of EXCEL.

1). I want EXCEL to put a # sign in front of the number I type in any
cell in column B (job number)...how do I set that up?

2). Here's what I'll have:
Column D (item) will have a drop down box with 5 or 6 choices (letter,
survey, etc.). No problem.
Column G (sides) will have a 1 or a 2 for number of sides being printed
on piece.
Column H (print quantity) will be final number of pieces.
Column I (press sheets) will be number of sheets of paper used.
Column J (impressions) will be number of impressions by press. (2 sided
will have twice the impressions)

So I don't have to figure this stuff out with a calculator, what I need
is based on the item picked in Column D, number of sides picked in
column G, and quantity typed in column H, I will need either the same
number in column H as G, half as much, or *one-third* as much.

I also need based on the item picked in Column D, number of sides
picked in column G, and quantity typed in column H, I will need either
the same number in column I as G, half as much, or *two-thirds* as
much.

Variations are based on number up on a page...i.e., 1, 2,3. Would it
help to have a separate column for this to figure the things I just
asked about?

Thanks so much for your help.
roger_home

--