Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sam Fertel

Default X-Y Graph with Months, Not Date on Axis

I have a data set with dates in column A and values in column B. I
have this plotted as an X-Y graph. I can change the major units on the
X (date) axis, but only by integers. I would like for it to display
months, rather than equally spaced dates. The closest I can do, is to
use 30 days for the major unit on the X-axis. Is it possible to have
each month displayed rather than specific date in 30 day increments?

Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
B. R.Ramachandran

Hi,

Try the following approach; I think that it would work.

If the lowest date in your data is not on the first of a month, create a
dummy date which is the first of the lowet month with no y-value for it, and
include that dummy point in the graph. Then

Right-click on "X-axis" -- "Format Axis"

--"Scale" Tab:
Base Unit: select "Day(s)"
Major Unit: enter "1" and select "Month(s)"
Minor Unit: enter "1" and select "Month(s)"

--"Number" Tab:
Category: "Custom"
Type: "mmm yy" (or "mmm yyyy", or any other format you want)

Regards,
B. R. Ramachandran