Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jeff Ellison

Default How make text appear in a cell as a result of a number in another

I am creating a database. Every time I enter a certain number (e.g. my
manufacturer's code) I'd like to be able to make the (manufacturer's) name
appear in a nominated cell. E.g every time I enter 0123 in one cell, Fred
Bloggs Ltd appears in an adjacent cell.
Can excel do this. I haven't a clue about Macros! Thanks1
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David Billigmeier

Have a look at VLOOKUP() in the help menu, this will achieve what you want.
Post an example if you would like more in depth help.

Dave

"Jeff Ellison" wrote:

I am creating a database. Every time I enter a certain number (e.g. my
manufacturer's code) I'd like to be able to make the (manufacturer's) name
appear in a nominated cell. E.g every time I enter 0123 in one cell, Fred
Bloggs Ltd appears in an adjacent cell.
Can excel do this. I haven't a clue about Macros! Thanks1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

Try this:

Put a new worksheet in your workbook, then:
A1: MfgID
B1: MfgName
A2: 0123 (or whatever products you have)
Note: If you want leading zeros...Format these cells as Text
FormatCellsNumber TabCategory: Text

B2: Fred Bloggs Ltd
Continue filling in the list

When done...
Select from A2 through the last item in Col_B
InsertNameDefine
Name in workbook: LU_MfgInfo
Refers to: (your already selected list)
Click the [OK] button

Then, on your input sheet...for a MfgID are in A2...
B2: =IF(ISBLANK(A2),"",VLOOKUP(A2,LU_MfgInfo,2,0))

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Jeff Ellison" wrote:

I am creating a database. Every time I enter a certain number (e.g. my
manufacturer's code) I'd like to be able to make the (manufacturer's) name
appear in a nominated cell. E.g every time I enter 0123 in one cell, Fred
Bloggs Ltd appears in an adjacent cell.
Can excel do this. I haven't a clue about Macros! Thanks1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jeff Ellison

Default How make text appear in a cell as a result of a number in anot

Many Thanks.

You are a genius!I have not dared to put in anything other than your
headings, so have used exactly as you wrote. (Like painting with numbers!).
If I use my own Headings, Supplier Number, Supplier Name, what would I have
to do with the formula?

I know this must seem so thick, but better honest than ignorant!

Thanks Again

"Jeff Ellison" wrote:

I am creating a database. Every time I enter a certain number (e.g. my
manufacturer's code) I'd like to be able to make the (manufacturer's) name
appear in a nominated cell. E.g every time I enter 0123 in one cell, Fred
Bloggs Ltd appears in an adjacent cell.
Can excel do this. I haven't a clue about Macros! Thanks1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Maybe...

http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html
From Debra Dalgleish's site.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

If I use my own Headings, Supplier Number, Supplier Name, what would I have
to do with the formula?

Use any headings you like...They aren't used in the solution I posted.

Best Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro