Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
The-Bee

Default Excel locks up when trying to save

I have a very large workbook - over 100 sheets. Each has from 50 to 1200
cells filled. It locks up just about every time I change a cell and try to
save the file. On a good day I can save two changes without locking and
rebooting. As you can imagine this is a real pain - especially since I will
need to make a few thousand changes in the next week.
Any ideas? I am running XP Professional on a Dell with more than adequate
space on my hard drive (still 85% free).
I did all the usual - defrag, scan disk, etc.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tom Hewitt

What Formuals does the file use? and how much memory does your computer have?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
The-Bee

The only formulas are simple multiplication and addition. Each row is
quantity X price and the sum column is totaled. The only formatting is
currancy for the appropriate cells; page number and print area.

60 Meg hard drive - 13.6 meg free
RAM = 512mb

What Formuals does the file use? and how much memory does your computer have?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Does it happen on other pc's?

Does it happen when you start excel in safe mode?
close excel
windows start button|Run
excel /safe
file|open yourworkbook
and test it out.

Does it only happen on that pc?

Are you saving locally or to a network drive?

Do you have antivirus software enabled?

There's lots of things that could be sticking their ugly heads in the way. I
think you'll have to do some detective work--and maybe you'll get lucky and find
the culprit.

--

Dave Peterson