Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sharon D.

Default Revised formula question

I guess I haven't explained my first questions very well. The answer
will vary depending on what amount the formula is being calculated
against. The answer will not always be same. I need to have a formula
that calculates commission on the first $1500 and not any additional
money on anything over $1500. So if a person raises $1300. The
percentage is .034 - the commission would be $44.20.

If a person raises 1500. the percentage is still .034 the commission
would be $51.00.

If the person raises 1600, the percentage is .034 for the first $1500
and the commission is still $51.00 because he doesn't get paid on the
extra $100 over

I need a formula that calcuates commission of the first $1500 and not
any additional money on anything over $1500.

--
Sharon D.
Sharon D.'s Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29841

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
y_not

Something like

=IF(A11500,1500,A1)*0.034

--
y_not
y_not's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=19947

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JE McGimpsey

One way:

=0.034*MIN(A1,1500)

In article ,
Sharon D.
wrote:

I guess I haven't explained my first questions very well. The answer
will vary depending on what amount the formula is being calculated
against. The answer will not always be same. I need to have a formula
that calculates commission on the first $1500 and not any additional
money on anything over $1500. So if a person raises $1300. The
percentage is .034 - the commission would be $44.20.

If a person raises 1500. the percentage is still .034 the commission
would be $51.00.

If the person raises 1600, the percentage is .034 for the first $1500
and the commission is still $51.00 because he doesn't get paid on the
extra $100 over

I need a formula that calcuates commission of the first $1500 and not
any additional money on anything over $1500.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JR

....The IF formula below is the only thing that will work. the "MIN" formulas
mentioned will hold the sales value at 1500.

"y_not" wrote:

Something like

=IF(A11500,1500,A1)*0.034

--
y_not
y_not's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=19947
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=495492

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JE McGimpsey

Huh?

The IF and MIN formulae return exactly the same results. Did you try
them?

In article ,
"JR" wrote:

...The IF formula below is the only thing that will work. the "MIN" formulas
mentioned will hold the sales value at 1500.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 07:39:02 -0800, "JR" wrote:

...The IF formula below is the only thing that will work. the "MIN" formulas
mentioned will hold the sales value at 1500.

Why do you write that?

The MIN formula will return the lesser of the sales value or 1500, which is
what the OP wrote she wanted.
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David Biddulph

"JR" wrote in message

"y_not" wrote:
Something like

=IF(A11500,1500,A1)*0.034

...The IF formula below is the only thing that will work. the "MIN"

formulas
mentioned will hold the sales value at 1500.

???
--
David Biddulph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JR

....I tried the MIN and found that it doesn't account for amounts under 1500.
If you had say, 1385, instead of giving you 1385*.034, it would give you
1500*.034.

"JR" wrote:

...The IF formula below is the only thing that will work. the "MIN" formulas
mentioned will hold the sales value at 1500.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JR

Sorry guys, I must have typed it incorrectly... it does work. At any rate,
Sharon will never know that either of them works until she tries it.

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

One way:

=0.034*MIN(A1,1500)

In article ,
Sharon D.
wrote:

I guess I haven't explained my first questions very well. The answer
will vary depending on what amount the formula is being calculated
against. The answer will not always be same. I need to have a formula
that calculates commission on the first $1500 and not any additional
money on anything over $1500. So if a person raises $1300. The
percentage is .034 - the commission would be $44.20.

If a person raises 1500. the percentage is still .034 the commission
would be $51.00.

If the person raises 1600, the percentage is .034 for the first $1500
and the commission is still $51.00 because he doesn't get paid on the
extra $100 over

I need a formula that calcuates commission of the first $1500 and not
any additional money on anything over $1500.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JE McGimpsey

Then you entered either the formula or the 1385 incorrectly. Did you by
chance enter:

=MIN(A1, 1500*0.034)

instead of

=MIN(A1, 1500) * 0.034

????

In article ,
"JR" wrote:

...I tried the MIN and found that it doesn't account for amounts under 1500.
If you had say, 1385, instead of giving you 1385*.034, it would give you
1500*.034.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pinmaster

I think you have your cell formatted as "percentage", format your cell
as Currency or Accounting.

JG

--
pinmaster