Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Stuart

Default Engineers Database

as mentioned in some of my previous queries i work for an accident management
company. as part of my job i need to instruct independant engineers to carry
out inspections. in order to do this i need an excel database kinda thing
where i key in the name of the bodyshop or a postcode and it shows me the
engineers i need to instruct. my question is how do i configure an excel
spreadsheet to do this task i have all the postcodes that each engineer
covers and i know this can be done because our call centre has a similar file
where they key in a postcode and it says what bodyshop to allocate it to with
a 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th choice. so if someone can tell me how to do this id be
most grateful.
--
Stuart
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Post some details of how your data is laid out. The solution will probably
be a VLOOKUP formula or one with INDEX and MATCH.

Andy.

"Stuart" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

Maybe something like this:
IN cell A1 type BODYSHOP
In cell B1 type POSTCODE
In cell C1 type ENGINEER

Then fill in the rows below with the data you have........
then do Data Filter AutoFilter, and select one of the little drop down
arrows and make a selection of a specific item, say BODYSHOP
FirstOne.........then you will see all the ENGINEERS that attend that
BODYSHOP, etc..........to revert all to normal, just do Data Filter
AutoFilter again, it's a toggle.........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Stuart" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Stuart

at the moment the layout is simple i simple have column a for aia column b
for aim etc with the word aia in a1 and all the aia postcodes going down each
cell in that column. what i want is say either a seperate document or a
seperate tab where i have the interface for searching the current database
for the required info.
--
Stuart

"Stuart" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

No separate sheet needed, unless you just want one...........
Click on cell A1 of the database, then do Data Filter
AutoFilter..........then click on the little arrow that appears in cell A1
and select the PostCode you wish to view.........all the rows with that
postcode will be filtered to display..........repeat the Data Filter
Autofilter moves to clear the filter and return everything to normal.........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3