Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
PAtrick

Default copyrighting spreadsheets

I have worked very long and hard on a company specific workbook that is very
detailed. I have distributed it within my company very successfully. The
workbook could be very helpful to a specific group of local companies and it
has been suggested I sell it to them. Can a workbook be copyrighted and/ or
sold without violating the EULA??
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

I don't think your problem is with the MS EULA. That pretty much says what
you can and can't do with MS Excel software (modify it, install on other
machines, etc) , not your application.

My understanding is this, though:

If you are the employee of a company and you develop your application on
their equipment, on their time, and/or for them....and you do NOT have a
written waiver of intellectual property rights from your company....
Then THEY own the application, not you. That is regardless of how
undererving you may think they are and how morally justified you believe you
are.

However, if they grant you explicit permission to market that application
and waive all rights to it, then go for it.

Other opinions?

***********
Regards,
Ron

"PAtrick" wrote:

I have worked very long and hard on a company specific workbook that is very
detailed. I have distributed it within my company very successfully. The
workbook could be very helpful to a specific group of local companies and it
has been suggested I sell it to them. Can a workbook be copyrighted and/ or
sold without violating the EULA??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
chrisnelsonusa1

Presuming that other companies that could use this spreadsheet might be
doing the same work as your company does; you also risk running into a
conflict of interest in giving something to your competition in the
marketplace.

Just a thought,

Chris

--
chrisnelsonusa1
chrisnelsonusa1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29526

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Michael

One more thought. Many companies require their employees to sign an agreement
not to release priviledged information, such as customer lists or financial
statements. Does yours?
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

"PAtrick" wrote:

I have worked very long and hard on a company specific workbook that is very
detailed. I have distributed it within my company very successfully. The
workbook could be very helpful to a specific group of local companies and it
has been suggested I sell it to them. Can a workbook be copyrighted and/ or
sold without violating the EULA??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
PAtrick

I actually created the workbook on my home computer on my personal time. I
am not so worried about my companies reation (as they have been supportive)
and I am also not concerned with the competition aspect. Does anyone know
how to begin that copyright process? Or even if that is the right way to
go...

Thanks for your responses so far!